Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Would like some motor advice and input please for an incon setup.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would like some motor advice and input please for an incon setup.

Hi everyone, I as some of you know am working on getting my incon kit up a running as school and work will permit. I am going to have to have my turbos rebuilt so I will be going with the larger ones like cablebandit has or if onfire finds out if the even larger compressor housings will fit then maybe them.

My goals are simple as I don't expect to, nor wish to make that big four digit horsepower number as most do now, but instead I would like to make around 590 rwhp to maybe 600 rwhp if all were to work out perfect on pump gas. But I will be happy with 5xx rwhp as that is quite a bit for the street if you ask me.

My plan is to put together my stock motor with just a set of pistons, cam, and maybe heads but would like to keep my stock heads and run just valve springs to save some money for the turbo kit. I already have ready to use, a LS2 timing chain and Texas Speed stock length pushrods. Oil pump is still undecided as to which to get but might go with the newer Melling high volume oil pump that has been worked over by thunder or someone else. The cam is possible a 04 ZO6 one or maybe something else that is recommended for my goals. Pistons rings I would like to have total seal stainless steal rings for the heat and to limit blow by.

I want to run my stock connecting rods with arp 2000 rod bolts, new gm main bolts, arp head bolts, and arp header bolts because the incon manifolds are so heavy and big.

Now to make this horsepower the flywheel horsepower will be about 600 or so and I want to know if you guys think this setup will work for the mean time until more funding can become possible.

I know if I had the money I would do it all out right but because I still have allot of things to acquire for the turbo kit that will cost allot, I can't afford to do the motor the best. However after most likely spending $2000 or so to get my turbos rebuilt I would like to avoid a little peace of ring landing destroying one of the new CHRA's or causing housing damage so that is why I want to do the pistons instead of putting the kit on my completely stock short block.

I believe KP, and cablebandit have both ran stock rods up to a good amount of horsepower so if they could add some info on their old setups that would be great. This car will only see the drag strip once in a blue moon so street is where this thing is going to live most of the time.

I will be using speed density tuning either by using a Parish style mega squirt or by HP tuners done by Jim at Speed Inc.

Fuel system will be decided as money comes but most likely use 97 corvette fuel rails with regulator or maybe a breathless replacement regulator. However if I have the funds I may use Speed Inc or Nasty rails and regulator if I have the money. The fuel pump will be a racetronix single pump but would like the dual if money allows and will be using the included wiring harness no mater which kit I get. Injectors will be motron 60 pound as I want to be able to have plenty of fuel as that is what will keep this beast alive.

My questions are:
1) Do you believe this setup will reach my goals and last for a while?
2) What brand of pistons to use that will fit the stock rods for pin size and lower my compression to a 9 to 1 or even 8.9 to 1 with the stock heads and GM MLS gaskets?
3) What do you think of my choice of piston rings and do you have a better suggestion?
4) Is the ZO6 cam the best for me or if not what do you recommend?
5) Any other helpful info or suggestions do you have for me, please?

Sorry for such a long post but I appreciate your time reading it and I hope by breaking it up, that it made it easier for you to read.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just my 2 cents. I would use head studs instead of the head bolts. Your stock rods should be fine. I don't think the racetronix pump without a BAP or dual pumps is going to support it. I'm sure someone will chime in and say it's working fine for them, but for the money and piece of mind, I'd just throw in a second pump while your doing the first one and be done with it. Call Diamond for pistons options and see what they recommend for you and they will also be able to get you hooked up with the rings as well. The zo6 cam will probably be enough for your goals as alot of people are running it with great success. Is there any reason your going for the upgraded turbos right off the bat? I'd think the stage 1 turbos would be fine for your power goals and the money saved from the upgrade would pay for your fuel system. I went with the locking breslin fasteners on my incon manifolds and they are holding up fine plus I don't have to worry about them loosening up.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock rods will be fine...dont know what pistons fit them...had some ross pistons that did. Stock turbos will do that hp easy. Stock cam will do what you want as well as one walbro and good wiring. Any rings should be fine...basically whatever comes with the pistons. For that power, stock head bolts are fine as well......550-600rwhp doesnt require much at all.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

The turbo upgrade is unavoidable as one of my turbos has been burnt up and has too much end play and is now making contact with the exhaust housing and the other isn’t too far off of being in the same boat. They came this way and from what I understand the car that they were on wasn’t using a BOV and that might have caused this early ware maybe. The price of rebuilding both back to stage one is the same practically as the upgraded to the larger ones from Blouch. The problem is that the CHRA’s from garret costs the same so I decided it would be good to go ahead and do them up right so if in the future I want to push allot more power then I can without much hassle. Breslin fasteners are they like the arp header studs with locks or are they bolts because I have heard the studs are easier to install these incon manifolds on but I haven’t hear of breslin fastners. Yes the dual pump is what I want to try and get but will have to wait and see. I will even if it means running just the corvette rails and regulator. Arp head bolts are cheaper then the studs and for the power and boost levels I will be running I don't think the studs will help as in the future if I decide to change the heads I can do so in the car without lowering the motor to clear the studs.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

I've taken my manifolds on and off several times with the breslin fasteners and never had a problem. It's a bolt with an allen screw in the middle. You just screw the bolt in tight, then tighten the allen bolt in the center and it expands the end of the bolt and locks it into the head.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cablebandit
stock rods will be fine...dont know what pistons fit them...had some ross pistons that did. Stock turbos will do that hp easy. Stock cam will do what you want as well as one walbro and good wiring. Any rings should be fine...basically whatever comes with the pistons. For that power, stock head bolts are fine as well......550-600rwhp doesnt require much at all.

You used ross pistons with your old setup and the stock ls1 cam too then, cool, that helps to know. Thanks allot cablebandit for you help and if there is anything else that you happen to mention that might help me I would appreciate it. Did you end up keeping your incon kit or did it end up selling? How do you feel about the high volume oil pump for the turbos.

Also what bearings do most here like to use for the rods, mains, and cam as I will have the block cleaned and new bearings put in just for good measure and wanted to know if clevite is what most use or just stock gm.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anarchy99
I've taken my manifolds on and off several times with the breslin fasteners and never had a problem. It's a bolt with an allen screw in the middle. You just screw the bolt in tight, then tighten the allen bolt in the center and it expands the end of the bolt and locks it into the head.
Oh ok, I have seen them then. Thanks for clearing that up, as I wasn't for sure. Those sound better then the stage 8 locking bolts that I put on a buddies truck headers.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Well I have to get to work so I will post some more later and read what you guys have to say. Thanks for this input thus far and I will be back on later tonight.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Coal Mining Director

Go with the upgraded CHRA from Blouch.

I've twisted and turned a TO4E and it's not going to fit well. Plus the T25 exhaust housing isn't going to handle 60lb/min either. Plus fitment issues with the internal gates, linkage, mounts. It's not a reasonable upgrade. 50lb/min CHRA's and stock cubes will give you room to grow into 800rwhp.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

What is blouch charging for the full upgrade as in if you send them your turbos, what's the full upgrade cost?
Old 02-07-2007, 01:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onfire
Go with the upgraded CHRA from Blouch.

I've twisted and turned a TO4E and it's not going to fit well. Plus the T25 exhaust housing isn't going to handle 60lb/min either. Plus fitment issues with the internal gates, linkage, mounts. It's not a reasonable upgrade. 50lb/min CHRA's and stock cubes will give you room to grow into 800rwhp.

I see, thanks for the info and help onfire, I am sorry to hear of all the trouble with them TO4E housings. As for room to grow, 800rwhp through a T56 is plenty to me for my F-body even in the future if I were to decide and pursue that level of power. I still have to make new wastegate brackets for mine as the previous owner lost them and the actuators so I am going to have a hell of a time getting that all worked out to fit but I know I can figure it out. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anarchy99
What is blouch charging for the full upgrade as in if you send them your turbos, what's the full upgrade cost?
Last I heard was 1780 to 2000 if you include shipping I believe. It has been forever since I talked to them. The last time I talked to I believe Mike was well before cablebandit sent his in to be done. So sorry I can't be more specific but I will be calling him soon I hope to make arrangements and I will let you know unless you want to call before that.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

That's what I was thinking. I remember reading in the old incon thread that it costs around 1800 for the upgrade, but that was awhile back and I wasn't sure if it had gone up since then.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:16 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was 1900 and change shipped. This included 2 new exhaust housings as the incons were cracked as they often are. Bowtieman81 bought my kit along with my original center sections. he may want to sell them to you and you can get back on the road cheaply. I had Blouch check them out and he said they were in good shape. mike is the one to talk to at Blouch turbo. I used clevite H series rod bearings and Federal mogul mains.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cablebandit
mine was 1900 and change shipped. This included 2 new exhaust housings as the incons were cracked as they often are. Bowtieman81 bought my kit along with my original center sections. he may want to sell them to you and you can get back on the road cheaply. I had Blouch check them out and he said they were in good shape. mike is the one to talk to at Blouch turbo. I used clevite H series rod bearings and Federal mogul mains.
That was about what I was thinking it cost but wanted to make sure so I high balled it. I don't believe my exhaust housings are cracked but I am by no means a turbo guru. I will see about contacting Bowtieman81 to see about the center sections but I was hoping to do the motor work first which is about all I have saved up for at this point except maybe a new dual disk clutch. I have a job prospect working as a police dispatcher that will pay way better and hopefully allow me to continue going to school full time so hopefully I can get some things rolling faster on the car.

The Clevite bearings are what I was thinking about using but I thought about using them on both the mains and rods as good bearing are cheap insurance for a motor to last. But Federal mogul mains are also real good and a little cheaper to I believe so I guess I will just have to see what comes unless I am missing something and should only run Federal mogul bearings in the mains, please let me know. I will probably use Federal mogul bearings for the cam even though my motor only has 13080 miles on it so the bearings should be fine but like I said cheap insurance and I even have the tool to put them in as I have done cam bearings before for other motors that I have put together but of course non that have made as much power as what I am hoping for.

Thanks Cablebandit for some more awesome help and input. I guess the next thing to do would be asking some sponsors who would have and know of which piston manufacture would have a set that will drop my compression to 8.9 or 9 to 1 with stock 62cc chamber heads or am I going to have to find some 317 castings and clean them up.