Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise coming from intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise coming from intake

I bought my 99' Z used from a dealership. I test drove the car three times before I got it and never seemed to notice this noise. My engine is making this grinding or high pitched whining sound coming from the intake manifold area. I had a couple guys who claim to be mechanics take a look at it and they said it's definately not pistons or rockers but might be some kind of air (kind of like farting) or suction from something. It usually only happens at start up and lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute. Lately it seemes to be lasting longer. Any ideas? One more thing I know should probably go on another post. Does any of your cars have this electrical system "flickering" going on every couple of minutes? My Z seems to have this little power surge that you can notice when breaking or reving. Hope I'm making sense to some of you. If you like send me an email with a phone number and we'll talk noises.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:53 PM
Teching In

Default Re: noise coming from intake

Does it have an air injection pump? There'll be a long hose running up from behind the driver's headlight and feeding a pipe with a circular valve running into one arm of each of the exhaust manifolds. Not all models had them, depends on emission spec. but these can be noisy, and the electric pump cycling will cause the flicker. Should only do it for a minute or so on cold startup, and at idle or light throttle when warm.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have a feeling that the noise you are hearing is
the AIR pump as noted above. However there is
bulletin for a whistling type noise from the intake/Throttle Body
that calls to replace the intake. This bulletin is
for 2001 corvettes so it doesn't really aply but I just thought
is would mention it. I have the bulletin # at work and can get
it for you if you need it.
Hope this helps some how,
Dave
Old 01-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Launching!

My 99z does it to I believe its the air pump. It has something to do with emissions and only activates when car is first started then shuts of.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car does the same thing for about 30 seconds only on cold startup. Has anyone fixed this before? Only started doing this the past week. Never did it for two years before.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Sucked Water in Intake

If you sucked in water through the intake, what could it get into?

Last edited by Silver02; 11-10-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Noise at Start-Up

Originally Posted by importkilla
I bought my 99' Z used from a dealership. I test drove the car three times before I got it and never seemed to notice this noise. My engine is making this grinding or high pitched whining sound coming from the intake manifold area. I had a couple guys who claim to be mechanics take a look at it and they said it's definately not pistons or rockers but might be some kind of air (kind of like farting) or suction from something. It usually only happens at start up and lasts for about 30 seconds to a minute. Lately it seemes to be lasting longer. Any ideas? One more thing I know should probably go on another post. Does any of your cars have this electrical system "flickering" going on every couple of minutes? My Z seems to have this little power surge that you can notice when breaking or reving. Hope I'm making sense to some of you. If you like send me an email with a phone number and we'll talk noises.
My car makes a noise at start-up when cold only for about 30 seconds then it stops. Anyone else get this?