Working as a server (Restaurant)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working as a server (Restaurant)

I'm looking for advice from someone who did/does work as a server. Red Robin by Drink Houston is hiring servers. I work 40 hours a week right now for Securitas, but won't get the OT they said I would so I'm looking for a second job to possibly move in to.
I've never served before, but I've spent 4 years in customer service, and I'm intelligent enough to pull it off.
I know they don't pay minimum wage (Law says they have to pay up to minimum wage if your tips don't cover it, but restaurants rarely do anyway.) but how did you guys do in tips? And it doesn't necessarily HAVE to be Red Robin, I just know they're hiring.
Any ideas? Tips? Any other restaurants in the West or NW area of Houston that might be hiring?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

I used to be a line cook and it was the hardest ******* job becuse if you aint cooking and moving you getting yelled at by the manger becuase the guess is bitchin. but my girlfriend worked as a server and it was iight. The only thing good about it is that you have money all the time and if you a good server you start to get the regulars who come and and only want you than you make money.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I got a headache trying to read what the kid above me wrote "and all dat ya noes".

My best advice is find a small family owned place that has higher income clientele. I work 15-20 hours a week (at max!) and bring home 400 a week pretty easily. That includes coming in and setting up and closing down/sidework. If you can find the right situation (85% of are customers are repeat once a week to once every two weeks) and I'm on a first name basis with the majority of them as well. I have never had a tip less than 18% from the regulars and never walked with less than 100 bucks on a fri/sat night.

Do not work at a place like a chili's, bennigans, red robins where there are too many servers and table hawks that gank tables etc, work at a smaller place with higher ticket items and focus on the quailty of the service instead of throwing a few soft drinks at them and waiting on the food.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Launching!

That's fine with me, but I'm unfamiliar with the area. Thank you for your post. I'm looking to work afternoons/evenings and weekends, but I just don't know where to look.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

ive worked in sushi bar (japanses restaurant) for 3 years. i only work 3 nights a week and i make $120 cash (tip only) weekday and $200 plus on weekends.

my house pay is $4 an hour and thatz about $150 every two weeks

so i make @ least $2300 a month only workin 3 nights a week.

this is working in small sushi bar. only 1900 Sq/ft
Old 02-06-2007, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

If you talking about me. Trying putting you reading glasses on becuase it aint that hard.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
11 Second Club

im a server at TGI fridays in CS.. i have been waiting tables for about a year now.. in order for you to make decent money you are going to have work friday and saterday night at most places. the benefits are: you have money in pocket after every shift.. and you meet alot of ppl...

on the other hand... you will never get off at the time specified.. its alot harder work than most people think, and theres a certain degree of stress that goes along with the job.. you cant rely on a paycheck.. my pay checks are about $25 for 60hrs after taxes...

your monthly income will always vary.. when i needed to make money i worked 40 hrs a week for a whole month and made $1650, but the next month i averaged 27 hrs and made about $800.. its a good job for young ppl going to school.. good luck
Old 02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
Launching!

Thanks Dirty2KTA. I'm not afraid of working late or a lot of hours or weekends. I work 11P-7A Monday and Tuesday and 7A-7P Sat and Sun. I'm here in Houston for school, not fun, and the rent must be paid.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by str8_4rm_dabronx
If you talking about me. Trying putting you reading glasses on becuase it aint that hard.
I had a difficult time understanding as well. I had to reread 3 times to make full sense of the post. Sorry man. But thanks for the info.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Dirty2KTA i used to work at friday's too. it is a bitch when the come out wit the 12.99 deals huh
Old 02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I dont understand. I mean it sounds good to me. Guess it becuase i type way i talk. hummmmm i just don't get it
Old 02-06-2007, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

I worked as a server at a quaint French restaurant for a summer. I loved it and am contemplating going back in the industry until I can start a career, but I can't say much about tips. I was on salary the whole time. If I go back to that restaurant, I want to be on tips though.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I worked at Olive Garden for 2.5 years after highschool, then went to a local steakhouse/brewery for another 2 years. 2nd year as a manager.

My best advice would be to wait tables at restaurants with expensive checks. The more you sell, the bigger the tip. Avoid places where teenagers hang out or food is less than $12-15 a plate.

I enjoyed working at restaurants, much more fun than Engineering. Definitely were the best parties of my life during that period too!
Old 02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Launching!

SO which restaurants would you be talking about? Like I said, I'm not from here and if it's not a chain restaurant, I don't know where it is, lol.
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:08 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Good: Most steakhouses and seafood places.
Bad: Burger joints, low-buck menus, cafeterias.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

yes its pretty much a given that bigger tickets= bigger tips.. but those of you who say places like bennigans, chilis ect are not an ideal place to work i disagree with.. i have a blast working at fridays.. the atmosphere is fun and the ppl i work with are equally as fun.. the downfall to more exclusive restaunts is: the uniforms are usually not comfortable to work in - you cant have a personality with your tables - and the atosphere is more serious and quiet which can be pretty boring..

fridays is a great for me.. THEY REIMBURSE ME FOR MY TUITION EACH SEMESTER.. how many privately owned exclusive restraunts do that? not the mention i get health insurace for $50 a month which is equal to what BC BS provides me through my dads insurance..

i feel that these people who dont like these places probably were new to waiting tables and didn't get the best sections. i usually have a 4 or 5 table section that is desirable to clientel on fridays/saterday nights and i make anywhere between 80 and 150 a fri/sat night.. it averages out to about 18 bucks an hr..

and yes the 3 course menu at fridays is pain in my *** at times.. but it only last 6 weeks a year..
Old 02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I work in a hotel, i'm a bellman, and it's a pretty sweet job. I make 5-7 bucks an hour, plus tips, my average is around 100 bucks a day. But it varies, some days i make 200+ others i go home with 30 bucks! If you like the service industry you might want to look into the hotel field. ive always wanted to be a waiter too, seems fun!

What's Securitas?
Old 02-07-2007, 12:29 AM
Banned

trywretywey

Last edited by freni32; 03-16-2007 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Thanks Matt, you have a PM.
Securitas is a Private Security company.