Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Engine Newb!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Internal Engine Newb!

Ok, I'm not trying to sound stupid, I've read the stickies.

1. What are the advantages of Swapping out the LS1 heads to something "better". I'm looking at Precision Race Component Stage 2.5 Heads. Basically, what are the differences between the set of heads?

2. Cam Choice: This seems the be the age old question on this forum. I'm not going to ask "Which Cam?". What I'm going to ask is.....I want a cam that is inbetween killing my neighbors and NOT killing my gas mileage because it is a daily driver at the moment. The all around daily driver cam...looking @ 232/234 .595/.598 114(degree).

3. If I buy the parts above (not bad prices I guess ~$1,600 includes pushrods) what else would I need to purchase?

4. Support Mods are upcoming. I'm doing rear suspension so the frame/rear end can handle the added HP/TQR. (Stall and Gears after Head/Cam).

5. With the mod already listed in my sig and going to do the above head/cam package, what would be a good number to shoot for above the 339HP that I'm getting now?

Of course, this is all funds permitting and can only do things a little at a time.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Splitz
Ok, I'm not trying to sound stupid, I've read the stickies.

1. What are the advantages of Swapping out the LS1 heads to something "better". I'm looking at Precision Race Component Stage 2.5 Heads. Basically, what are the differences between the set of heads?

2. Cam Choice: This seems the be the age old question on this forum. I'm not going to ask "Which Cam?". What I'm going to ask is.....I want a cam that is inbetween killing my neighbors and NOT killing my gas mileage because it is a daily driver at the moment. The all around daily driver cam...looking @ 232/234 .595/.598 114(degree).

3. If I buy the parts above (not bad prices I guess ~$1,600 includes pushrods) what else would I need to purchase?

4. Support Mods are upcoming. I'm doing rear suspension so the frame/rear end can handle the added HP/TQR. (Stall and Gears after Head/Cam).

5. With the mod already listed in my sig and going to do the above head/cam package, what would be a good number to shoot for above the 339HP that I'm getting now?

Of course, this is all funds permitting and can only do things a little at a time.
1. Aftermarket ported/polished heads flow more air and flow it smoother, resulting in good power gains.

2. 228'ish size cam, give or take some duration, use the DCR calculator thats in this forum to check the valve events of the different cams in this size range.

3. You will want a new crank bolt, head bolts, head gaskets, front cover seal, and a new timing chain.

4. No question was asked.

5. Should be well over 400 with a well matched set of heads and cam.

Keep searching around here for cam selection advice, its all over the place. There are about 50 threads a week with peope asking "what cam to go with". Your best bet is to learn what valve events do and the effects they have on the engine and then use a DCR/valve event calculator to help spec out the cam that you want based on your needs.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I`ll answer what I know ... why the ported heads (the stock castings meaning factory heads not aftermarket designed heads) are *Better*

1-I think what you mean by better heads is ported heads (such as prc stage 2.5 5.3 heads or ported ls1 or ls6 heads) .....
they are better because the flow better (meaning they`ll allow more air in with the same camshaft valve motion) air into the engine wich will allow more fuel and that will give a more exploding mixture of fuel and air resulting in more power Hp and Tq. . and that`s because they are ported (material removal inside the intake and/or the exhaust port) increasing the inside volume of the port and the shape of it for smoother unrestricted path for the air to flow in or the exhaust to flow out .... stock heads can have much more flow if ported good and the restrictions removed.

another thing that makes more power in the combustion chamber size wich will mostly be smaller wich in turns will make less space for the cumbusting mixture of fuel and air wich will raise the pressure .... resulting again in more power.

*porting has limits (not the bigger the port the better or the smoother the better search or read somewhere else for better details)

*for the intended usage and the fuel octan used pressure of an engine is also limited.

hope it helps and not complicated ....
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

you are also going to want to match the stall to the cam once you get it selected. Are you looking at the PRC LS6 based heads or the 5.3 based heads. with a smaller cam I would go with the 5.3's
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lt1formula2000
you are also going to want to match the stall to the cam once you get it selected. Are you looking at the PRC LS6 based heads or the 5.3 based heads. with a smaller cam I would go with the 5.3's
i would go with the LS6 heads and mill them down as needed, forget the 5.3's.