Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam or Cam only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam or Cam only?

Well, I have been looking at the PRC Stage 2.5 (2.04, 1.57) heads and their CNC LS6 heads they offer. I know the 2.5 heads, being 5.3L heads will yield me a higher c/r, but the LS6 heads flow pretty close to what the 2.5's flow.

I plan on going with a Torquer V3. I changed my mind from the V2. I already have an LS6 intake and plan on getting some Pacesetters with a high-flow catted Y-pipe.

My question is should I go with heads AND cam. If so, which heads would you guys recommend? I know a higher c/r would make more power, but what about gas mileage, driveability, etc? I know a dynotune would take care of that and I plan on doing that regardless.

I also plan on doing a single-roller non-adj timing chain, hardened pushrods, LS6 oil pump, and new lifters regardless if I get heads too. My car has almost 112k miles on it and it run excellent! I just want a bit more power, .
Old 02-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was going to go cam only myself with bolt ons.. but a sponser had a nice sale on ported 243's and they were cheap so I said what the heck, why not. I got to pull them to change the lifters anyway.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

i think if the ls6 are milled to have the same CC as the 5.3l's ls6 are better

what i mean is if both have the same CC the the ls6 are better and i think they might have more ptv clearance the 5.3's with the same cc
Old 02-08-2007, 08:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bad6as
i think if the ls6 are milled to have the same CC as the 5.3l's ls6 are better

what i mean is if both have the same CC the the ls6 are better and i think they might have more ptv clearance the 5.3's with the same cc
Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking. Thing is, the 5.3's have bigger valves, so I am guessing with the right cam (Torquer V3), I can make some serious power.

Blake
Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

If you want the best get the trickflow heads. $2395 assembled with dual springs but worth every penny.
Any cam of your choice and you will be happy.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Top Fuel driver Darrell Russell's father Brunell told me years ago "It's in the heads" and I believe him and you should too. Headers and cam can do a lot, but a set of CNCed Stage II heads will wake you motor up BIG TIME. Because the cam swap is so simple on the LSx series that has become the defacto internal mod of choice,but don't sell a good so of heads cheap or you'll be doing yourself a very big disservice. If it were me I'd go for the cam AND heads AND long tube headers w/ORY pipe AND high ratio roller tip rockers,etc.,but I already did. You can't go wrong with that choice if you can afford it.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 02-09-2007 at 04:31 AM.