Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

My Rear crapped put, got pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Rear crapped put, got pics...

So about a month ago the 10 bolt crapped out on me halfway down the track. Now it howls and it has a loud grinding when I let off the gas. I decided to take the cover off and see if I saw anything. The minute I took the plug off I notice metal shavings everywhere. I took these pics, maybe you guys can tell me more. I will be purchasing a 9 inch rear pretty soon. Don't know if those shavings are coming from. I know the larger chunks are pretty pressed in into the gears and will not come off.

Last edited by FungusMungus05; 02-07-2007 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

That is definatly causing your noise problems. I would not drive it anymore if I were you. I have heard a few very isolated cases of the chunks tearing up the c-clip's on the axles and then the freaking axle falls out going down the hwy. Not very fun in my book on that one. I doubt that would happen but it is possible. Also it would suck to have those gears bust apart going down the road and cause your rear to lock up or at the very least strand your *** on the road somewhere.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats horrible news my friend..... i would do what ^^^^^^ says. i wouldnt chance it anymore than you really have to

goodluck
Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by *98Formula*
That is definatly causing your noise problems. I would not drive it anymore if I were you. I have heard a few very isolated cases of the chunks tearing up the c-clip's on the axles and then the freaking axle falls out going down the hwy. Not very fun in my book on that one. I doubt that would happen but it is possible. Also it would suck to have those gears bust apart going down the road and cause your rear to lock up or at the very least strand your *** on the road somewhere.

Yeah, It was bad enough driving it back from the track. Very scary to hear the grinding and howling. Don't even want to think what would happen if the axles gave out. It's been sitting in the garage ever since then. Now i'm in the process of getting a 9 inch. 5 years of beating the hell out of it, I guess it finally gave up. Surprised it held up that long. I heard of people breaking it the first time out.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what gear ratio where they?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99zman
what gear ratio where they?

They where 3.23 gears.