question about seals (not the animal)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about seals (not the animal)

my car was checked over by a certified tech yesterday and he told me three things were wrong with....

rear main seal leak (somewhat reasonable leak)

rear end seal leak (minor)

front end seal leak (minor)

i'm not a gearhead. are these cheap/easy fixes? or pain in the ***, cost a lot of money fixes?

are they a big deal?
my car has been runnin fine, no smell of oil, no puddles under the spot i park at at my apartment, or work.

thanks in advance!!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you actually losing oil? If he thinks you have a rear main leak and you aren't losing oil, then check the input shaft seal on the gearbox (I only assume you have a 6-speed)
Pinion seal is a common leak point, but get under there yourself and take a look before relying on someone else's word. Look for gear oil seepage from thetween the yoke and the pinion snout of the rearend.
Front end seal leak? Huh? Does he mean the timing chain cover?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Rear main pull the tranny. Beware though that most of the gen 3 engines I have had come through the shop are the oilpan gasket and not the rear main though. It's a PITA to nail down. Rear end can either be a pinion seal or axle shaft not a problem. Front end seal leak now thats a new one unless its an AWD fbody. Might want to do a little closer investigation on all of the above. Remember you can also have all of the above seep and not need immediate replacement if you got drool spots now thats another story.