General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default front end alignment

I need to get my front aligned because the outsides are wearing down faster than the insides. Can you tell me if there is any special equipment for these camaros that I need to ask the shop if they have to get it set right so my new tires coming will wear evenly?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

No special equipment.

Before they perform the actual alignment, have them make sure that the tie rod ends and the inner tie rods are in good shape and not worn out and loose. If they are worn out and loose it will be pointless to have an alignment done.

Thye ****** did this to my taurus, they aligned it with loose inner tie rods and it did absolutley nothing to fix the alignment. One I replaced the inners and had it aligned it was perfect and has been since.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Teching In

they should have a tool that looks like this
http://www.otctools.com/products/detail.php?id=2195
Old 02-12-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for that. I just printed it off on my computer.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i swear woman, youve had to have spent thousands on this car already.....sucks...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Good thread. Smart question and good answer! I learned something here.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just get help from you guys because I get alot of bull from service shops here in memphis. I appreciate everyone helping me out and I appreciate your help with the oil pressure which has been doing good. I was trying to find out about the tool because I heard there was something special to use to get it right. The tires were shot when I bought the car. They have about 6 months left on them. They are wearing on the outsides so I have new tires waiting and don't want to use them up fast.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:48 AM
On the tree

No special tools at all.

Also the 4th gen F-body's (LT1 or LS1) dont have inner tie rods because they use a rack and pinion unit. Only have outer tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
No special tools at all.

Also the 4th gen F-body's (LT1 or LS1) dont have inner tie rods because they use a rack and pinion unit. Only have outer tie rod ends and upper and lower ball joints.

They do to have inner tie rods, who told you that they dont, hopefully it wasnt a auto shop.

The inner tie rod screws onto the rack assembly. The inner rod is what the tie rod end screws onto. I have changed out inner tie rods in rack and pinion systems before. Look at the attached pic, number 3 is the inner tie rod.
Attached Thumbnails front end alignment-tierod.gif  
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

when they are aligning the front end, do I want any kind of cant with the front wheels?
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

have them give you as much negative camber as they can w/o having to sacrifice too much caster. This will help with your problem of wearing on the outside of the tire.

I have my camber maxed out at -1.0° and still was able to keep my caster up there as well. If you are lowered the more likely you will be able to get some good negative camber w/o reducing your caster.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chevygirl
I just get help from you guys because I get alot of bull from service shops here in memphis. I appreciate everyone helping me out and I appreciate your help with the oil pressure which has been doing good. I was trying to find out about the tool because I heard there was something special to use to get it right. The tires were shot when I bought the car. They have about 6 months left on them. They are wearing on the outsides so I have new tires waiting and don't want to use them up fast.
and i know i enjoy helping you...as im sure the rest of the guys do....i just feel bad for ya
Old 02-13-2007, 04:22 PM
On the tree

Maybe so on the actual inner, but most shops do not service the rack. I have had two replaced on my car since it was new under warranty. GM and most shops around here dont mess with it and just replace the racks.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
Maybe so on the actual inner, but most shops do not service the rack. I have had two replaced on my car since it was new under warranty. GM and most shops around here dont mess with it and just replace the racks.
Thats retarded considering inner rods are only like $30 and they are so simple to replace. It takes me like 30 minutes to swap them out, too easy. The rods arent part of the rack anyway, they just bolt to the rack.

If its the rack itself thats bad then that a different story, but for bad inner rods you can just cheaply and easily replace them.

Last edited by brad8266; 02-13-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

so chevygirl, where are u plannin on takin it to get aligned in memphis? Im from memphis too,what would be a decent shop to take it to over here. I just lowered my car and the guy said i should get an alignment as soon as possible.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a place called Clarks alignment (Mike) or Serra Chevrolet in Bartlett.
I haven't decided which to use yet. Mike is nice at Clarks but I don't know if their equipment is as good as the dealer. Clarks is an old place that has been around for along time. Where do you live at? My car is not lowered. It is stock.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in Germantown. Thanks for the help. Keep me updated on where u end up goin.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

if the rods are bad already. would a alignment say so? my friend was a mechanic before and he looked at my car and had guesses whats bad without taking the wheels off, but due to the slop in the tires he was thinking the ball joints or wheel hub was bad. would a alignment printout have these things show up? he said if it was really bad it might keep them from doing the alignment. but he wanted the printout and what the shop said to know what to replace. since we just have a driveway and limited tools here i guess he wanted to know whats bad without taking everything apart first.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ROB2000
if the rods are bad already. would a alignment say so? my friend was a mechanic before and he looked at my car and had guesses whats bad without taking the wheels off, but due to the slop in the tires he was thinking the ball joints or wheel hub was bad. would a alignment printout have these things show up? he said if it was really bad it might keep them from doing the alignment. but he wanted the printout and what the shop said to know what to replace. since we just have a driveway and limited tools here i guess he wanted to know whats bad without taking everything apart first.
You can tell if its the rod ends or the rods themselves by lifting the car and grabbing the left and right sides of the tire and wobbling it. If it wobbles and has any slop in it than either the ends or rods are bad. You can tell which it is by what part moves when you wobble the wheel.

To check the hub/bearing assembly you grab the tire on the top and bottom and try to wobble it top to bottom, if it wobbles its bad bearings/hub.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

it wobbles left to right for sure, up and down it has more resistance, not sure if it was going to the sides a little when i was trying. it was dark out already and had been out there all day. my memory might be failing.

let us know how your alignment goes chevygirl