Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT Cat idea 2 pass emmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question LT Cat idea 2 pass emmissions?

This is about my 94 LT1 Z28: (see sig)

I got some bad advice... I was in a hurry and went ahead and installed new Hooker super comp LT headers and Y pipe.... sans A.I.R. fittings and of course cat.

A friend had felt it could be tuned to pass emmissions. Later I learned, no way, I need to put that cat back!

But, no way to put the cat back now!...won't work with the long Ypipe. What to do???

My tags are expired and I cannot pass emmissions. (Yep, I Tried quite a few things already)

Got my First ticket last week... Taking back roads now! Help!

Some hope...I think here in MO. they stop sniffing your tail pipe for OBD1 cars like mine (-94 and earlier) this Sept. but, that is a long time and this is my D/D till then!

Well there is some room under the back seat where my cutout is now...Anybody put a cat back there? I would have to run the AIR tube back as well and some extra heat sheilding but am willing to try.

I was hoping someone has been down this road before???
Ram

Last edited by rambo benson; 02-08-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-08-2007, 11:10 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Put the cat after the Y, put it in somewhere.... if the tuner won't do what is needd to get it to pass a scan test, then put it back in the exhaust somewhere. It's not gonna do **** if it's way back in the exhaust because they work off the heat of the exhaust.. but if he sees it in the exhaust I'm guessing he will do what is needed to make it pass at that point.

Or, you're gonna be putting the stock exhaust back on if there's no other way, hope you kept the old stuff.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Launching!

Yeah you are right, it has to "light off"with a lot of heat. And it would be hard to heat it up way back there. Maybe run it real hard for a while before emmissions. get it glowing red halfway back there!

Yeah, it's not just the SES light, with the sniffer it's Parts Per Million PPM Carbon Monoxide and nitrates or something...so he really can't tune it out.

Sold the stock stuff!!!! ****!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

you have to go thru a sniffer..... you better find a way to put a set right at the end of the headers, cut the collectors shorter if you have to, because without the cat, you're not going thru.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
Launching!

Oh, great....thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

put it under the abck seat and ehat that ****** up with a blow torch
Old 02-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know where you live, but longtubes wont pass the visual even if they pass the sniffer.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:01 AM
Launching!

Tainted...I f'n LOVE IT! OK,,,,WILL DO!!! ( in case any po-lice are monitoring this, I am officially just kidding)

Black, no problem in Missouri. No visual. And in Sept. they will stop sniffing OBD1 cars. (approx. 95 and older I think)
Old 02-10-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
you have to go thru a sniffer..... you better find a way to put a set right at the end of the headers, cut the collectors shorter if you have to, because without the cat, you're not going thru.