Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tune question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tune question

I know this is an often asked question, but what kind of time and money would it take to become proficent enough to be able to do tunes for other people? Several years ago I used to build engines and help guys tune their carb. engines at the track. I live in a small town and there is NO ONE in the area that can performance tune the EFI cars and trucks. I had given some thought to trying to learn how to tune well enough to offer some performance tunes on some of the light modded/ stock cars.
Is it worth the time and money if you only plan on doing it on the side??
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you have a spot to put a dyno?

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get into tuning for as little as $500 with our software/hardware, depending on what you plan on tuning an unlimited LS1 car package would start at ~$1600...Gen3 car & truck unlimited starting at ~$3600. And we also offer an upgrade credit plan which is kinda a pay as you go plan that allows you to convert our inexpensive pcm locks into year/model locks. So the cost to get into tuning isn't that high.

The knowledge/understand is the thing that will take time & that has a learning curve.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The knowlege/learning curve is what I was most concerned about. Just as there are many different combinations to mod a car (different heads, cams, etc) I'm sure their are many different theories on the proper tune (timing curves, fuel trims etc) That was one reason I wasn't really interested in getting into heavy modded cars. It's evident by the amount of mail order tunes being done, that there are some basic blueprints to follow to improve on the factory tune. I'm just not sure what I would be getting into

And I'm not interested in dyno #s. If I had it to do over again, I would have had someone do a street tune on mine, instead of a dyno tune. The hp#s don't really mean a thing to me, the ET #s do