General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rain water on the floor board!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain water on the floor board!

ARRGGGG!

After driving in the rain with my buddy, I noticed about a 1" puddle standing water on the rear passenger floor, but nothing else was wet. I didn't notice any water seaping through any seals/ t-tops or anything. I thought he didn't close the door all of the way or water seaped up through the seat belt mounting hole . I vacuumed out all of the water and tried to dry it out.

I let the car sit until it rained again. Again the carpet was damp but nothing around it. I pulled the back seat out... totaly full of water!! The seat bottom foam was like a sponge ! The only thing I can think of is it leaking at the sail panel, where the roof meets the qtr panel behind the interior plastic and then pooling under the carpet.
Any ideas of what can be causing this? I guess I'm going to have to gut the interior?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried to just run the garden hose over the car while someone sits in it to see if they can see it coming in. Try a car wash, where you sit in the car.Usually if you didn't have a leak the high pressure usually comes in from the T-Tops. That's where it leaked on my 02 transam, when my wife washed it. Some cars have rubber plugs on the bottom of the car, usually where the spare tire is (trunk) maybe if running thru alot of water, could be splashed up. It would probably take alot of deep water The only other thought would be if the car has a drain tube, like for around sun roofs, don't even know if my t-tops have one, but if your drain tube is clogged, the water could be finding it's way somehow to your floor in the back. I would sit in my car while someone ran water over my car with a hose.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you park nose down on an incline the rear hatch area fills with water and dumps into your backseat so that may be it right there...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Teching In

I take my car through the touchless car washes all of the time and never noticed any leaks.
Ya know, I AM parked nose down... because my driveway runs down into the garage which is in the basement of the house (1 car garage is for my other baby)

I just don't see where it could be leaking from the rear hatch. There is like a 1" lip and weater stripping all the way around.

I'll park nose up and run water over it and see...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 AM
TECH Resident

Late post but here's some advice. Pull the carpet up. That padding will stay wet indefinitely. I pulled mine long after the car was under cover, out of any rain and the carpet stayed so wet it was difficult to handle when taken out and carrying to a drying spot in my shed. It weighed 30 - 40 lbs; dry is probably 15. Here's what happened to me:

Rusty carpet from seat bracket and belt harness:

Notice the purple areas. I spent a lot of time cutting sheet metal, riveting and laying fiberglass:
Old 02-15-2007, 06:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tainted
if you park nose down on an incline the rear hatch area fills with water and dumps into your backseat so that may be it right there...

This just happened to me too. I backed in to my driveway. Drivers side rear floor full of water....
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to happen when my 98 TTop Z28 was in a hard rain shower. Don't think it ever did it while moving, but it would do it while parked. In my case the TTop drain channels were trashed, water was coming in behind the plastic interior sail panel and collecting in the rear floor
Old 02-15-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

if you have any wires that you ran through the firewall check those holes. If there's any hole whatsoever it will follow the wire into your car. This happened to me when I ran my amp wire through the grommet under the PCM. everything was soaked, the front passenger floorboard, rear passenger floorboard, and under the rear passenger side seat. I had to pull all the seats out and carpet up to get it completely dry but put sealant on that wire and it hasn't leaked since.

Quick Reply: Rain water on the floor board!