Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

So, did anyone call Tremec yet

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So, did anyone call Tremec yet

and ask them if the new Dex 6 stuff is OK to use in any/all T56s?? The way GM universally backdated it's use, one would think so, but then it IS at least a "partially" synthetic fluid, so who knows what Tremec will claim??
Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Teching In

The tech bulletin at the dealership said specifically NO! I was looking for a replacement for Royal Purple. I ended up using syncromesh and am loving it. Just ask the dealer to look up the intended vehicles for its use. Hope this might help.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, the TTE tech i spoke with today said that "it is being tested in the current iteration of the T56 and the 6060, and will probably be the recommended fill next year in these units". But he did go on to say that "to be safe" in current/older units, they can only "recommend" Dex 3, GM/Pennzoil Synchromesh, and MAYBE Mobil 1 ATF <(still "sorta/kinda at your own risk"). He told me that Ford had wanted to spec Mobil 1 ATF as a factory fill and recommended refill, and was tested and approved as such by Tremec. But they ended up going back to Dex 3 after some Terminator owners had unspecified "shifting problems" in colder weather, although there was NO evidence of ANY blocker ring damage to cause, or be a result of this.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How many times are you going to ask this q? NO dex 6 is not in T56s and it is unlikely it will be specified since the dex 6 reduces the wear additives in the oil.....yes it is a crappier oil. What else is it you are looking for?
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by calhoon
How many times are you going to ask this q? NO dex 6 is not in T56s and it is unlikely it will be specified since the dex 6 reduces the wear additives in the oil.....yes it is a crappier oil. What else is it you are looking for?
Agreed. But somewhere down the line Dex 3 MAY be gone due to this universal "backdating" assigned to the Dex 6. The T56 is such a minute portion of the total market that they may not even care that there is no more Dex 3. I suspect that the Dex 6 price would have to drop to at least half of where it's at now in order for them to drop Dex 3 though. In any case I may just try Amsoil ATF/Synchro, Mobil 1 ATF, or Specialty Formulations' SynchroGlide at the next change.
BTW; this is the first time I've started a post about Dex 6.

Quick Reply: So, did anyone call Tremec yet