Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NEW L76 rear drive G8 Pontiac on sale early 2008....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NEW L76 rear drive G8 Pontiac on sale early 2008....

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...063#post918063

Info released today at the Chicago auto show.
Check out the pic with Bob Lutz doing a "burn-out" with the L76 !!!!
Is that burn-out fake or real....
Old 02-08-2007, 10:44 PM
CNB
11 Second Club

I would buy that!
Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks pretty cool. Not exactly my style, but it's definetly sweet.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

If they made an AWD version I would buy one. I have a feeling the G8 will sell good. Note to Admin: Get ready to add a G8 section.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How big is it supposed to be, comparatively?
Old 02-09-2007, 02:53 AM
TECH Regular

It's based on the New Holden Monaro. Its a little longer and wider then the 04-06 GTO.
It should be the same width but a little longer then the 09 Camaro (same platform but the 4 door version).

Look for alot of parts that will come out for the Camaro to work on the G8 (except cat back systems as there's probably a foot or so more in the tubes for a G8).

I expect Pontiac to release a GXP version for 09 with the same motor the Camaro will come with.

Man this thing should actually handle better then a Caddy CTS-V (newer/better suspension design).

I think if I had to get out of my coup and go to a sedan that the G8 with a cam and exhaust upgrade would be my choice.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default G8

It's about time GM is getting out of their stagnet rut of front wheel drives and offering some rear wheel drive cars. Even if it is a Holden with a Pontiac badge. They should have done this when they canned the Ol Caprice in 96, and naturally the Camaro and Firebirds in 02 ! Ford has continued with success with the Muskrat and Crown Vic. You hardly see any GM police vehicles because the front wheel drive does not hold up ! Look at Chrysler, they've got some nice rides out also. Their 300 is selling like Hotcakes here in Europe. Granted not many have the 6.1. They stuff a V6 3.0 Diesel in em. 6.1 liter eng. with Gasoline at 1.15 EURO a LITER !

One of GM's mistakes is they try to utilize a body style for too long. Consumers want new and different things, not the same ol thing. The gen 3 f body's body ran from 93 to 2002, just changes to front and rear.
However I understand they want to milk the R & D from a vehicle as long as possible.

Look at the 73 -87 Pickups, same situation.

This G8 looks like a Beamer on the Autostrada here in Italy.

The Dash looks typical GM for a low-mid range vehicle. Kinda looks like the dash of an Opel Astra.

I might consider one depending on options and costs.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Actually its based on the new Holden Commodore. The Commodore has been around since 1978. It replaced a car that looked a lot like a Chevelle. It was based on a euro box initially and was pretty small. In 98 it was released in the body style that gave way to the Monaro which was a mini project done to use much of the sedan parts.
The new VE series which the G8 basically is was a ground up redesign.
A mate in NZ who has owned hundreds of cars tells me its the best handling car he has ever owned.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

So if it already has the L76 from the factory, we should start getting some pretty powerful "cam only" setups from it. Sounds pretty cool to me.

-Geoff
Old 02-09-2007, 07:15 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whistler
How big is it supposed to be, comparatively?

Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

So will the L92 heads bolt on? Would make for a nice combo with a mild cam.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

It has the L92 heads on it already dude, thats the brilliant part.
L92 Heads and L76 intake!
Old 02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that thing looks like a rebadged CTS-V.. thats the same platform as it... but hey i would buy a poor mans CTS-V..
Old 02-09-2007, 01:45 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

man it's not exactly a light weight... granted its one of the bigger in the group.... 4k lbs is plump
Old 02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm getting one when they hit the dealers. Very nice looking car from the pictures, and if the build quality is GTO equivalent (which I'm sure it is) it'll be a great car. I had the wife sold on the GTO, but she didn't care for the whole 2 door aspect (I already have 3 cars that are 2 doors), so the 4 door G8/Grand Prix should be a much easier sell.

I'll post up once I have one in my greedy little hands.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PRESS RELEASE: ALL-NEW G8 ACCELERATES NEW ERA OF REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE PERFORMANCE AT PONTIAC

CHICAGO – Confirming its commitment to style and performance, Pontiac introduced a show car version of an all-new, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan at the Chicago Auto Show. The 2008 Pontiac G8 will be available in dealerships early next year.

"With the balance of rear-wheel drive and the availability of V-8 power, the G8 represents another step in Pontiac 's commitment to its performance DNA," said John Larson, Pontiac general manager. "Added to the Solstice and the recently announced additions of the G6 and Torrent to the GXP series, the G8 demonstrates that Pontiac has never been more serious about the business of performance – and we expect this vehicle to be very competitive in the segment, even against cars that cost far more."

The G8 is the first North American application of GM's new global rear-wheel-drive architecture developed by Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary.

G8 GT show car details

The G8 show car unveiled at the Chicago Auto Show is representative of the production GT model, including use of the 362-horsepower (270 kW) 6.0L V-8 engine and optional six-speed manual transmission. The show car also features some unique items not found on the production model, including:

* Twenty-inch "shadow chrome" wheels and performance tires
* Ride height lowered approximately half-inch
* High-performance brake rotors with painted brake calipers
* Custom interior trim color, including a leather-wrapped dash
* Exclusive exterior paint color: Phantom Grey
* Concept of "modernized" Pontiac badge, to gauge public opinion.

Production model details

The 2008 Pontiac G8 lineup will offer two models: G8 and G8 GT. Each will come with a host of standard performance, convenience and safety features, including:

* Four-wheel independent suspension
* Four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control
* Electronic stability control
* 18-inch aluminum wheels (19-inch wheels available with sport package)
* Seat-mounted thorax air bags and dual-stage frontal air bags for front passengers, with automatic passenger sensing system
* Roof rail side-impact air bags for both seating rows
* OnStar
* XM Satellite Radio
* Power-adjustable front seats
* Fog lamps
* Chrome exhaust tips
* Rear lip spoiler

A sport package will be available for both models and adds features such as specific wheels – including 19-inch aluminum wheels and performance tires on GT – a rear wing spoiler, leather shift ****, leather-wrapped steering wheel and alloy pedals.

Design

The G8 has a progressive styling package highlighted by strong Pontiac design cues, such as a dual-port grille, fog lamps, bold wheels and a confident, wheels-at-the-corners stance. The design accents the car's performance lineage, with fenders that flare over the wheels, seemingly hugging the wide tires and enhancing the sporting stance.

Distinctive elements include hood scoops and front fender vents, as well as projector-beam headlamps housed in crystal-clear lenses. At the rear, jewel-like taillamps also are mounted in housings and feature bright detail work surrounding the red lighting elements. G8 models have red taillamp lenses and twin chrome exhaust outlets, while G8 GT models feature clear taillamp lenses and quad chrome exhaust tips. All models have an antenna mounted at the rear of the roof.

Powertrain

The base G8 model receives a 3.6L DOHC V-6 with variable valve timing, rated at 261 horsepower (194 kW). It is paired with a five-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode.

The G8 GT is powered by a uniquely configured 6.0L small-block V-8, rated at 362 horsepower (270 kW) and 391 lb.-ft. of torque (530 Nm). A six-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode is standard and features the fuel-saving Active Fuel Management system, which enhances fuel economy by alternating between eight- and four-cylinder power. An optional six-speed manual transmission will be available soon after launch.

A limited-slip rear differential is standard with GT models.

Suspension system

A 114.8-inch (2915 mm) wheelbase, wide front ( 62.7 inches / 1592 mm) and rear ( 63.3 inches / 1608 mm) tracks, and a fully adjustable, four-wheel independent suspension system combine to give the G8 a confident, sharp driving experience.

The four-wheel independent suspension system employs a MacPherson strut design in the front and a four-link coil-over-shock design in the rear. Tuning is specific between the base and GT models, but both models use a direct-acting front stabilizer bar, decoupled rear stabilizer bar and lateral ball joints on the rear suspension. This system delivers increased lateral stiffness for enhanced handling.

The front suspension features fully adjustable caster, camber and toe; the rear suspension has fully adjustable camber and toe, which enables more precise, tailored suspension tuning.

Brake system

A four-wheel disc brake system includes standard anti-lock and traction control features and is partnered with a standard electronic stability control system. Both the base and GT models feature vented front and rear disc rotors, with twin-piston alloy calipers in front; the rear brakes feature alloy calipers with single-piston actuation. The brakes are approximately one-inch larger on the higher-performance GT model.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i really like it!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
that thing looks like a rebadged CTS-V.. thats the same platform as it... but hey i would buy a poor mans CTS-V..
No Sir. This is most definitely NOT the same platform as the CTS-V. The G8 (Holden Commodore) is based on GM's new global RWD architecture called Zeta. The CTS is built on the Sigma platform. The Sigma platform is alot more expensive to build, and thusly not conductive to a high volume car such as what the Zeta platform is being used for.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PSM
man it's not exactly a light weight... granted its one of the bigger in the group.... 4k lbs is plump

Not for a RWD 4 Door V8. You won't find many (or any, unless there's one that I've missed) that are less than around 3700 lbs. This is a NICE car, big wheels and all stock.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Small cam L76 with unported L92 heads, Active Fuel Management (DOD), a suspension system that is better then the CTS-V, and Australian attention to detail in the build.
I'ld take a G8 GT over a CTS-V any day of the week.

Holden/GM spenting roughly 1 billion (au) on the Zeta platform design.
Engineers around the world have looked at the frame and suspenion for the Zeta platform and said it is one of the best designs ever (ie better then bmw, mopar/benz, or jaguar).

This car is set to hit showrooms in the first quarter of 08 and I'm hoping that there will be dual pattern performance cam's showing up around that time.

Quick Reply: NEW L76 rear drive G8 Pontiac on sale early 2008....