Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Checking pattern without loading the gears?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking pattern without loading the gears?

The service manual says I need to partially set the parking brake so that the pinion needs about 50 ft.lbs to turn it in order to load up the teeth. I never hear anyone talking about doing this. Is doing it unloaded going to give me a good pattern check? I realize the pattern will be much smaller but is it still valid for setting up the gears?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Grab a thick glove and hold tension on the ring gear as tight as you can while turning the pinion. Go around a half dozen ring gear rotations each way. Thats the easiest way to check for pattern.

FAAAAAAR more crucial is make sure your pinion depth is bang on and your backlash is within spec and preload your pinion and carrier bearings just right. Never seen a rear yet that didnt work perfectly if these settings were spot on. Get that right and dont even bother checking pattern its not nearly as critical.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
Grab a thick glove and hold tension on the ring gear as tight as you can while turning the pinion. Go around a half dozen ring gear rotations each way. Thats the easiest way to check for pattern.
Or you can slide an axle in and a tireless rim on that and do the same.I have someone hold tension on the rim as I rotate the pinion nut a bunch both ways and can get a good pattern to develop. Just another way.