Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Oil Leak After Oil Pump Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Oil Leak After Oil Pump Install

Hi, I started up my car today after installing a home ported oil pump in my 99 ls1 and started to leak oil really bad where the oil filter mounts. The pump was ported on both sides of inlet&outlet and was shimmed. The pump was from thunderracing and was only ported in thepickup tube side. I went ahead and ported the other side. The shim was alreadied installed on there. So, I'm curious if the pump had something to do with it,mabe too much pressure that might of blew out the filter's rubber oring? Or maybe leaking around the gasket? Please help with any info please before i replace the pan gasket or maybe i have to tear down the car again to take out the shim
Old 02-08-2007, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you drop the oil pan? or take out the little plug above the oil filter?
Doesnt' seem like a fault of the oil pump but could be the oil pan install afterwards. Since the oil filter mounts to the pan (not the block like earlier SBCs) maybe the oil pan gasket got messed up and is letting the pressure out. Just a thought. Or incase you took out the plug, check that seal too.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about the small adapter above the oil filter.. did you take it off before ? or did you tap it for a sender..? clean it up and start it up again and watch to see if you can detect the leak.. good luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's related at all. I had a friend with this problem. What happened was when he was changing the oil filter the "O" ring from the old filter stuck to the block when he was removing the filter. He didn't realize it. He installed the new filter and the old "O" ring got twisted and didn't seal properly and his oil leaked out over time. This is a good thing to check anyway if you change your own oil. Be sure the "O" ring is on the old filter as you remove it and wipe the boss where the filter screws on clean with a shop rag.