anyone delt with identity theft?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone delt with identity theft?

I don't think my ID has been stolen, BUT there was an unautherized charge on my bank account today. I found it quick after it happened as I was checking my account to see if my tax return had posted yet. Anyways I called Equifax to freeze my credit (and they notify the other two Bureaus as well) and then called the bank to file a claim etc. The last think I was wondering is should I contact the local PD about the situation, or would I be better off to wait and see what comes of the claims already filed before making a police report? Anyone else been in the situation?

I google'd the phone number attached to the fraudulent charge and got several hits for a WELL known scam.

Here's the number, enter it into google just as it is posted here and see the results.

Todays Escapes: 800-798-0664

In the first hit on google the example account listed matches what is on my statement exactly down to the routing number and everything.

Matt
Old 02-08-2007, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

one time my mom was looking through statements and was being charged for repeatedly for some stuff she didnt purchase, she immediately contacted the bank and they removed the charges at once. hope you get it fiugred out
Old 02-09-2007, 08:28 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Yea, in the past year my wife and I had it happen twice! Both charges came from overseas, one in Madrid and one in Mexico somewhere. We had to file a little paperwork/claims with the bank, and the money was back in our account within 24 hours both times! And of course, they switched our accounts around, changed our debit cards and PIN's, etc to try and keep it from happening again. Apparently it's a HUGE industry (running scams like this). Good luck, I hope yours is resolved as painlessly as ours was!

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's scary - any idea how they might've gotten your account #?

I pity the fool that tries to steal my identity - it's not exactly champagne wishes & caviar dreams, lol
Old 02-09-2007, 08:52 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Our bank never found out how, they just said it's something they deal with almost daily. Likely, someone overseas was trying random numbers and found one that worked. They changed our account numbers and cards after the 1st time....it was just lame luck that we got "picked" out of the millions of numbers available twice.

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 02-09-2007, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes, and it sucks. Someone purchased an expensive cell phone and international plan using my identity about 5 yrs ago. I never knew it until a collections agency called demanding I pay them $600. I was pissed, I would have killed whoever did that.

Never found out who did it, T-Mobile would never give me the damn cell phone # on the account or tell me the billing address of the buyer. T-Mobile was convinced I was guilty until proven innocent. Took about six months of letters to get it removed from my credit report, what a pain in the ***.

Tips:

NEVER EVER reply to any email requests asking you to log into your paypal, bank, etc... from that email. ALWAYS go to the actual site first and log in from there, never from an email link. Most email links are frauds/scammers just trying to collect your log-in information. Most banks do not contact you requesting info via email.

My parents even got a letter in the mail that appeared to be from Chase, asking them to call a number and verify their info. The letter looked legit, even had a Chase envelope. The return address was a PO box not listed on the Chase site, and the number didn't match up. She took it to the local Chase bank, they informed her it was a fraud letter. It looked REAL.

Always protect your SS# and credit card numbers. When you get a receipt at a restaurant that has your CC# printed on it, be sure to scratch it out. The computer system has that on file anyways, they don't need it on print. That piece of paper will sit around in the storage room for 5 years with that CC# info on it. Scammers that work at restaurants are good at stealing bags of old receipts.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Launching!

ya, someone stayed at hotel marina in bangkok thailand on a citi bank card they got in my name. bastards.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

ok, here is what i have found out from the bank this morning (sorry for crappy typing, very tired)

This was a case of someone finding a bank account # and using it, not so much identity theft or an attempt at it. Basically the way the bank described it to me is that someone has a program on their pc and it runs billions of combos until it hits an account # that works and they use that one until it is closed and then they start all over again. They closed the account and opened me a new one and refunded all the money back from both transactions the person made. I am just very greatful that I found the charge almost immedietly after it was made to get the situation taken care of asap.

If there is anything else I'll post it later and give any helpful detail etc I can.

Matt
Old 02-09-2007, 10:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt @ SDPC
Yea, in the past year my wife and I had it happen twice! Both charges came from overseas, one in Madrid and one in Mexico somewhere. We had to file a little paperwork/claims with the bank, and the money was back in our account within 24 hours both times! And of course, they switched our accounts around, changed our debit cards and PIN's, etc to try and keep it from happening again. Apparently it's a HUGE industry (running scams like this). Good luck, I hope yours is resolved as painlessly as ours was!

ahhem....Mexico isn't overseas yo!!!

glad they got you guy's situation taken care of, mine is playing out basically just like you said yours did.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

LOL! Quickest way down to the parts where the charges were you'd have to fly over lots of water to get there Nice call!

Old 02-09-2007, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep - Happened to me last year. I was looking at my bank account online and noticed a "pending" debit card transaction for $4,300.00. I called the number listed with it and it's a travel agency that booked a hotel in Trinidad. I immediately called the bank to put the account on hold.

Long story short - I wasn't charged anything, all money was reversed, new account and debit card. BUT, the problem I have with the whole situation is the way it was all so common, like it was no big deal. Happens all the time. Bank of America didn't even advise if they were investigating how this could have happened. I'm usually very good about given out my personal info, but like Tony mentioned, when going to a restaurant, that credit card slip is just begging to get copied. I think that's how they got me.

Problem is, no one seems to be getting caught or going to jail. Everybody has a story about it happening to them, but I have never heard of anybody getting caught and have the beat-down by the cops. Just sucks the world we live in these days. I found out just how much I use that damn debit card when I didn't have one for a week. Try paying in cash these days! Pain in the *****!! (my *****, you're breakin' 'em - Butters)

Brian
Old 02-09-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

There is alot of behind the scenes stuff that is investigated by the financial institutions fraud departments. I work for one of the bigger banks and some of the upper management people from the fraud area have come down to talk to us previously and relayed stories of people they have caught fraud rings they have busted and things of that nature. However, you the consumer will not know what the fraud departments are doing or how they are doing it because it would be pointless to tell you. Sooner or later we could relay the info to the wrong person who could be another fraudulent person and they would have some inside info of what the bank is capable of researching/investigating.

Most of the time it's user error because you either replied to a phishing email and gave out all your personal info or answered some bogus phone call. Safeguard your info to the best of your capability and you should be ok.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I had my Bank of America checking account get used by some one else. They managed to put me roughly $1700 dollars in the hole. The bank was real good about it though. They called me about 4 hours after the charges started appearing. They just verified a few charges that were mine, then asked me if all these telecom company charges were mine. I said probably not, where are they coming from? Then I was floored when the guy said Cairo, Egypt. . . . . . . . Yeah .. . . . . . . Im in Dallas buddy, a few thousand miles away.

Anyways, they credited my account for the loss, so it all worked out well.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
There is alot of behind the scenes stuff that is investigated by the financial institutions fraud departments. I work for one of the bigger banks and some of the upper management people from the fraud area have come down to talk to us previously and relayed stories of people they have caught fraud rings they have busted and things of that nature. However, you the consumer will not know what the fraud departments are doing or how they are doing it because it would be pointless to tell you. Sooner or later we could relay the info to the wrong person who could be another fraudulent person and they would have some inside info of what the bank is capable of researching/investigating.

Most of the time it's user error because you either replied to a phishing email and gave out all your personal info or answered some bogus phone call. Safeguard your info to the best of your capability and you should be ok.

could not have said it better myself. I also work for a very large bank and we have entire departments that investigate fraud both after it happens and while it happens. There is a lot more that goes on than is seen. We see examples of fraud or identity theft all the time. The retail bank's job is to put you in touch with the right department and everything else is handled there.

There are so many ways that your account can be compromised these days its not even funny. If you pay your bills with a personal check, that check has your name, address, account number and routing number. Anyone who comes into contact with that check, whether legally or illegally, has that information. With this information that can cause all kinds of problems. If you have access to online bill pay, I would strongly advise you to use it. The funds are drawn from your account and placed in a general account, from which either a check is issued or an electronic withdrawl is issued from. Either way, none of your personal information is at risk.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TEX02SS
could not have said it better myself. I also work for a very large bank and we have entire departments that investigate fraud both after it happens and while it happens. There is a lot more that goes on than is seen. We see examples of fraud or identity theft all the time. The retail bank's job is to put you in touch with the right department and everything else is handled there.

There are so many ways that your account can be compromised these days its not even funny. If you pay your bills with a personal check, that check has your name, address, account number and routing number. Anyone who comes into contact with that check, whether legally or illegally, has that information. With this information that can cause all kinds of problems. If you have access to online bill pay, I would strongly advise you to use it. The funds are drawn from your account and placed in a general account, from which either a check is issued or an electronic withdrawl is issued from. Either way, none of your personal information is at risk.
I work for a bank and what you said is the truth. If you write a check to anyone there's all the info the person needs to use your account for fraud. We have a department setup to deal with fraud and before my old bank was bought out we had an investigator that worked at the police department that we would call and he would come by and we would give him all the info we could and he would do his thing. We caught a lot of people

Even if you use a debit card you aren't safe anymore. People hack into computer systems of retail stores and can get card #s and info. We have had to issue a lot of new cards within the past year because of things like this.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

we received an alert at my bank that people were rigging up cameras at ATMs so they could get your card number/pin etc. They even had card readers that went on the outside of the slot that you put your card in and it read your card and gave them the info. It looked normal too. Very scary.

Some of the new credit cards have the 'Blink' feature where you can just waive your card near a sensor and it will gather all your information. The idea was to make using your credit card easier. Well thiefs developed something that can pick up the information from the card while it is in your wallet...they just walk by you and it scans your card. Isn't technology wonderful?!