Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towhaul on our cars

Old 02-10-2007, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towhaul on our cars

i had seen a thread that listed which wire to use to set up a performance shift or towhaul mode on the fbody. anyone have the link to it or know how it is done
Old 02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tow/haul basically just disables overdrive. put your gearshift in the 3 position inside of d and you have the same thing.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
tow/haul basically just disables overdrive. put your gearshift in the 3 position inside of d and you have the same thing.
If he is talking about the tow/haul mode from a chevy truck then it does not just lockout 4th. It changes the shift points to be high to reduce shifting. I dont know why you would want to do this instead of just getting a programer.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tow Haul is on trucks. I use it all the time when I am towing. It is not on cars. Are you talking about your car?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

Another foo wanting a hitched f-body, I'm getting tired of you people and am putting bullets in my clip as we speak.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NoGamesLS1
If he is talking about the tow/haul mode from a chevy truck then it does not just lockout 4th. It changes the shift points to be high to reduce shifting. I dont know why you would want to do this instead of just getting a programer.
yes it does wait longer to shift which it does anytime you put your tranny into any range other than d because when the pcm see's that you select 3,2,or 1 it assumes you have done so to get increased power and/or to gain engine braking. the pcm commands max line pressure and applies the overrun clutch to provide engine braking. the overrun clutch will apply in different gears depending on which position the shift selector is in.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

i was taliking about a performance mode and i was just comparing it to towhaul, cuz i do have a programmer and it has the option for performance mode and regular mode by pressing a button/ or switch. i want to have normal shifts/ shift points during daily driving. then when you press the button have a higher shiftpoint more aggressive line pressure.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
yes it does wait longer to shift which it does anytime you put your tranny into any range other than d because when the pcm see's that you select 3,2,or 1 it assumes you have done so to get increased power and/or to gain engine braking. the pcm commands max line pressure and applies the overrun clutch to provide engine braking. the overrun clutch will apply in different gears depending on which position the shift selector is in.
The part about the PCM is absolutely incorrect! When you place the shifter lever in 3rd, vs OD (or 4th), the PCM doesn't command higher shift points nor full line pressure. On '98-'00 models, when the MAF Failed, it would command full line pressure ... shift points were unaltered. Passenger cars do not have Tow/Haul mode, that is only trucks. Corvettes do have the option of a Performance Shift option, which is calibrated differently then Tow/Haul Mode. I think what you are reffering to is DFCO (Decelaration Fuel Cut Off), but this functions even in 4th, it is more pronounced in 3rd due to gear advantage.

To enable Tow/Haul Mode, or the Performance Shift Option in F-Bodies you will need to use either HPTuners of EFI Live to enable the code. You can not simply wire it up. Once you enable the code, you can adjust the Performance Shift tables to suite your "extra" needs.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 12secSS
The part about the PCM is absolutely incorrect! When you place the shifter lever in 3rd, vs OD (or 4th), the PCM doesn't command higher shift points nor full line pressure. On '98-'00 models, when the MAF Failed, it would command full line pressure ... shift points were unaltered. Passenger cars do not have Tow/Haul mode, that is only trucks. Corvettes do have the option of a Performance Shift option, which is calibrated differently then Tow/Haul Mode. I think what you are reffering to is DFCO (Decelaration Fuel Cut Off), but this functions even in 4th, it is more pronounced in 3rd due to gear advantage.

To enable Tow/Haul Mode, or the Performance Shift Option in F-Bodies you will need to use either HPTuners of EFI Live to enable the code. You can not simply wire it up. Once you enable the code, you can adjust the Performance Shift tables to suite your "extra" needs.
it is huh? how about i fax you the page in the book published by gm that says exactly what i said?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
Another foo wanting a hitched f-body, I'm getting tired of you people and am putting bullets in my clip as we speak.

put down the gun sparky and re-read the thread.

Search this Thread