Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how about supercharger pcv venting? what do I need to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default how about supercharger pcv venting? what do I need to do?

Im really confused about how to run this setup, Im going to get a catch can, which one should I get(vented or not) what else do I need? do I still run a line down to the blower hat or do I want to eliminate that? Do I need a check valve or multiple ones? I need some serious help here my head is spinning!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 10:47 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4704845
Old 02-11-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Linky no worky...
Old 02-11-2007, 03:11 PM
9 Second Club

its a link to the search engine.....go search for "pcv" lol
Old 02-28-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is everyone so **** about this stuff?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

I for one will agree totally, for the guys here that have been here forever yes it may be a bit annoying when the same ? seems to come up several times. But more often than not when I use the search engine it is not working. There is nothing wrong with taking an extra 10 secs out of your life to help a new guy out and if you dont want too then move on! It takes you the same amount of time to write use the search as it would to simply answer his ?.

Anyway I am using a speed density set up and the best way i have found to vent the system is simply add a nice catch can in the PVC system and eliminate the hose going too the blower and then I added 2 K&N 2in breather filters too the passager side valve cover where the system use to run and another in the back part of the driver side cover vents nicely alkso make sure you add a one way valve between the pcv and the intake yes the pvc is a one way but I have done some testing and found them to leak under even moderate boost and you dont want to pressurize the crankcase hope this helps
Old 02-28-2007, 11:55 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Putting a filter on the valve covers totally defeats the PCV system...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by bandit1
I for one will agree totally, for the guys here that have been here forever yes it may be a bit annoying when the same ? seems to come up several times. But more often than not when I use the search engine it is not working. There is nothing wrong with taking an extra 10 secs out of your life to help a new guy out and if you dont want too then move on! It takes you the same amount of time to write use the search as it would to simply answer his ?.

Anyway I am using a speed density set up and the best way i have found to vent the system is simply add a nice catch can in the PVC system and eliminate the hose going too the blower and then I added 2 K&N 2in breather filters too the passager side valve cover where the system use to run and another in the back part of the driver side cover vents nicely alkso make sure you add a one way valve between the pcv and the intake yes the pvc is a one way but I have done some testing and found them to leak under even moderate boost and you dont want to pressurize the crankcase hope this helps
Im sure in the last month, there have been 5 or 6 threads on this same subject. Replies certainly taking more than 10 seconds, with detailed diagrams to boot. Even this reply has taken me much longer than 10 seconds.
As for the search, Ive been here a fair while now, and I still use it, and most of the time it works for me. Yes it may take a while to fitler through to what you want, but the PCV topic has almost been done to death.

The biggest problem with it is, that whilst some people have given simple diagrams, of setups that work, and others drawings of equally effective, but much more complicated setups. Some people feel the need to overcomplicate a very simple area of the engines breathing.

So newbies, instead of taking the simple approach which actually works, seem to want to take the more complicated routes, then they get confused.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
...The biggest problem with it is, that whilst some people have given simple diagrams, of setups that work, and others drawings of equally effective, but much more complicated setups. Some people feel the need to overcomplicate a very simple area of the engines breathing...
Very true. I am confused myself with all the options floating around in here! So someone be nice here and post up the simple effective solution
Old 02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

i am confused as well. i have read so much on this topic, that i dont even know what works right!!
Old 02-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Launching!

Im sure in the last month, there have been 5 or 6 threads on this same subject. Replies certainly taking more than 10 seconds, with detailed diagrams to boot. Even this reply has taken me much longer than 10 seconds.
As for the search, Ive been here a fair while now, and I still use it, and most of the time it works for me. Yes it may take a while to fitler through to what you want, but the PCV topic has almost been done to death.

The biggest problem with it is, that whilst some people have given simple diagrams, of setups that work, and others drawings of equally effective, but much more complicated setups. Some people feel the need to overcomplicate a very simple area of the engines breathing.

So newbies, instead of taking the simple approach which actually works, seem to want to take the more complicated routes, then they get confused.
I used the search and read and Re-read the results, but maybe Young Grass Hopper you can tell us what worked for you. Please give me a simple, inexpensive way to setup a Supercharged PCV system, and I promise I won't bother you again!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

intake -> McMaster/Carr check valve -> PCV valve -> catch can -> driver side valve cover.

The check valve prevents boosting the crankcase via the PCV.

I also have the hose from the driver valve cover to the blower inlet hat so any crankcase pressure is vented when under boost.

10 seconds, and I type slow.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
7 Second Club

put a nipple on the suction side of the S/C piping, hose -> catch can -> hose to stock pcv "Y" that leads to each valve cover... i also have a filter oil neck
Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad30th
intake -> McMaster/Carr check valve -> PCV valve -> catch can -> driver side valve cover.

I also have the hose from the driver valve cover to the blower inlet hat so any crankcase pressure is vented when under boost.

Rob (Bad30th)
You're awesome Rob... I've had some questions but never had them answered... I'll try this for sure...
Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

OK, simplest way....

Vent all the valve covers to atmos via a decent catch can/oil-air separator. Block up any PCV fitting orifices on the intake. Dont re-circulate anything.

Thats basically what I do, and it works fine.

The only addition to mine, is that my catch can collects and returns any collected fluids back into the oilpan ( below the oil level )
Old 02-28-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Rob(Bad30th) has it. It pulls a vacuum at idle and vents in boost.

Rob do you get any oil in the blower inlet when it vents? and where did you get the check valve?
Old 02-28-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=bandit1]I for one will agree totally, for the guys here that have been here forever yes it may be a bit annoying when the same ? seems to come up several times. But more often than not when I use the search engine it is not working. There is nothing wrong with taking an extra 10 secs out of your life to help a new guy out and if you dont want too then move on! It takes you the same amount of time to write use the search as it would to simply answer his ?.

Thank you!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bad30th

Thank you also!

Yea me too. I would not waste anyones time if i really needed the help.

Rob (Bad30th)
I would not waste anyones time if i really needed the help.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is very,very tight and there is so many things running everywhere and it gets very confusing at times and just needed some support!

Also to boot i dug into the pcv system and found a pcv valve that someone else had put in prior to my ownership - it was broken - of corse - so i just installed a new one. It was under some big rubber thing at the intake. PROBLEM FIXED! Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, simplest way....

Vent all the valve covers to atmos via a decent catch can/oil-air separator. Block up any PCV fitting orifices on the intake. Dont re-circulate anything.

Thats basically what I do, and it works fine.

The only addition to mine, is that my catch can collects and returns any collected fluids back into the oilpan ( below the oil level )
Do you have a diagram that you recently burned us about?

Quick Reply: how about supercharger pcv venting? what do I need to do?