Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Got a roational clunk in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got a roational clunk in the rear?

Ok i have a 97 camaro z28. i have tried the searches and i need still to explain my problem. I have a clunk sound like from the backseats and over to my left which would be my back passanger side area. I can drive it and it kind of makes a growl or grinding howl. If i appile the brakes it does not make a noise? I thought maybe the alxed bearing on the passanger side but i dno't know. I did ingition related stuff and my car sat for about 2 months ni my garage. I added spacers about 1 week before it was done. But once i took my car for it's first test drive it made that howling grinding clunk noise?? I look at my wheels to see if maybe they were rubing and not a single mark on the inside fender, so what gives? I can put my car in netural and push it back and forth in my storage garage and it does not make any clunk, i use to have a sweak kind of in the same area but could that SWEAK have gotten worse to this howling grinding noise? Any info would be greatly aprecciated thanks. Devin
Old 02-11-2007, 02:08 PM
Teching In

i just went threw this last night..i took of the differential cover and found some missing teeth on my pinion...maybe a start..sounds real similar
Old 02-11-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

alright hey thanks, so are u gonig to get new gears when you get your new pinion? How long did it take u? should i jsut upgrade to 3:73:1 gear ratio?