Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I get my trans pan to seal???

Old 02-11-2007, 09:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How can I get my trans pan to seal???

I am having trouble trying to get my transmission pan to seal up. I have tried twice to get it to seal up........once with a cork gasket and once with a rubber gasket. Both times it leaked bad at the front of the transmission. I have a Derale cooling pan............I am starting to think the pan may be warped a little, but It didn't leak very bad before.........just a small silver dollar size puddle over a weeks time. What is the best gasket to use and how tight do I tighten the bolts.

Help me out, I can't run at the local track anymore until I get this fixed.

thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 06:59 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the pan and make sure that it is not dimpled at the bolt holes from being over tightened. I usually torque the pan bolts between 98-108 inch lbs. You can try to straighten out the pan with a hammer using a socket as a driver to straighten out the area around the bolt holes or get a new pan. I use the durapreme gaskets and with a good straight pan I really do not get complaints for leaks. We do sell a deep pan kit if you would like to replace it. Vince
Old 02-12-2007, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Since its leaking at the front there is the possibility that it could actually be leaking from the pump oring clean it off and watch to see if any fluild is appearing in the crack betwen the bell and main housing just and idea I have seen people change the pan gasket over and over trying to fix this

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-12-2007, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

i know the front seal is leaking a little because I can look in and see a little fluid seeping aroung the seal. My leak is a bad dripping leak, It leaks just as bad when the car is sitting in the garage. If the front seal was leaking that bad I don't think that my trans would shift out as good as it does, would it? It was not leaking nearly as bad before I tried to fix it...........maybe 4 drops every day. I looked at the gasket and it looks like it is coming from around the gasket.

What kind of deep pans do you guys sell? The one that I am using is a stamped steel peice. It is deffinatly possible that I may have dimpled the pan trying to tighten it, didn't realize that the torque was that little.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

well we dont sell pans but i think vince does bu when i say seal i do not mean front seal i mean pump oring it would leak the same either way running or not and would be slow leak and would not affect shifts

Call 888-744-6542

Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can peen it flat like suggested. I never could get a
decent seal on a chrome pan I had. Cast stock, cast deep,
and truck pan no prob. Maybe use two rubber (cork sucks,
chrome pan squished it into pieces) gaskets if you can't
get it to dead flat. Also with the tube-through-wall you
have to consider the possibility that one may be a weeper.
Wipe it clean and see if the track is from the lip or lower.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

i will give that a try, thanks
Old 02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Not sure if you have tried RTV with the gasket, but I know aot of stuff right from manufacturers have no gasket at all, they use rtv to seal the pan to the tranny.

I know the tranny on my dodge pickup uses rtv anyway, my th400 in the transam has a seal on it.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:23 AM
10 Second Club

Well, come to find out that it was not the pan gasket the whole time. As Performabuilt said it ended up being the pump seal. It was draining in between the bell housing and the transmission-made it look just like it was coming from the seal. I was trying to figure out how I could manage to do my own heads and cam install, but I could not figure out how to seal the pan

thanks everyone

Search this Thread