Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vendors and Members - Racing Seat Guru's - Is there a seat...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vendors and Members - Racing Seat Guru's - Is there a seat...

For a C5:

I've been scouring all the top Racing seat brand websites: Sparco, Momo, Corbeau, Recaro, Bride, Cobra, Status... and haven't found exactly the right seat to pull the trigger on. I like a lot of the different styles, but none have fabrics I feel are up to the Vette standards.

Specifically, I am looking for a black/red combination. I'd really prefer something other than cloth. A leather/alcantara or ultrasuede combo would be IDEAL! But, I havent' seen any like this. I'm assuming Caravaggio could do it, but I was hoping I could find something cheaper. If not, John, feel free to chime in here. I like the suede because it grips you and doesn't look or feel cheap like cloth.

I know there are a lot of threads about which seats will fit and which won't, but I took some measurements and it looks like a lot should fit, but I'm just not sure if anyone has tried. I couldn't pull up any hits on the "import scene" brands, but I don't have a problem with them if they get the job done.

I would love to be able to use the power rails, but I'm not dead set on it. I would like to have manual sliders at a minimum. I'm split between a fixed and reclining back. I see the advantage to both, since this is a daily driver (for now). I really want to test drive a seat before I buy it, but even in Houston, I'm having a hard time finding them to do so. Hopefully you guys can help me identify a few that might have my fabric so I can work harder to find a local owner or supplier.

My other option is to try to recover some racing seats, but I'm not sure if the upholstery process is similar to an OEM seats or if it will cost a lot more due to the stiffness of the materials.

The other thing I've been toying with: I could buy a set of racing seats to transplant when I need them, but I would really like something better than stock on the street and I don't see this as a cost-efficient option since mine need to be recovered. That would cost 700-1100 for the red/black combo recovering and I'd still have to buy the racing seats. I could also sell the stockers and the sport seats usually bring decent money on the forum, even if they need new leather. The other big dissappointment with this setup is the lack of weight savings. They way a mega-ton, though they're not terribly uncomfortable for a daily driver that sees track use once a month or so (drag, autox, and road racing @ TWS).

So, I know that's a lot, but I've spent at least 24 hours searching websites and forums and I feel just as lost as when I started. Just trying to through some of my thought processes and desires! Any thoughts?!?!?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 AM
FormerVendor

arizenracingsports

Last edited by VSGLS1; 02-13-2007 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Non sponsor linking...
Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Have you looked at the custom work that sparco offers?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:45 AM
12 Second Club

No, do tell....

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
Have you looked at the custom work that sparco offers?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

on sparcos home page, on the bottom left corner youll see where it says "get stitched" click on that.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

like above, sparco has some really nice options in their milano prestige setup. leather, microsuede, custom stitching. just be ready for the price tag.

and post pics if you get them!
Old 02-12-2007, 01:53 PM
12 Second Club

Milano's don't look like they'll hold you very well when racing, so I don't see the point in spending big bucks. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Keep them coming. I'm real intrigued by Status seats. I hadn't actually checked their site for all their options until last night after I posted this, and was pleasantly surprised by their options
Old 02-12-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do like what im doing. I got a nice set of corbeaus used and i am having them recovered in dolphin gray sueda with red suede inserts and theyll be heathed and vented/cooled. I am very impressed with the corbeaus but which ever set you find that you like, buy em used and have them recoverd to your exact standards and specifications at a local upholstery shop. i was supposed to have it done last week but then my uncle said hes going to mexico to buya house on the beach and if i wanted to ride along and keep him company we could pull my trans am on a racing trailor and he knows a guy in mexico that will do awesome work and do everything inc seats dash and doors for under $100 usd. I looked the guy up and apparently he does prototypes for ferrari and boyd coddington and jesse james have used him. So if your close to mexico i would check him. Wow i kinda rambled on.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 530transam
do like what im doing. I got a nice set of corbeaus used and i am having them recovered in dolphin gray sueda with red suede inserts and theyll be heathed and vented/cooled. I am very impressed with the corbeaus but which ever set you find that you like, buy em used and have them recoverd to your exact standards and specifications at a local upholstery shop. i was supposed to have it done last week but then my uncle said hes going to mexico to buya house on the beach and if i wanted to ride along and keep him company we could pull my trans am on a racing trailor and he knows a guy in mexico that will do awesome work and do everything inc seats dash and doors for under $100 usd. I looked the guy up and apparently he does prototypes for ferrari and boyd coddington and jesse james have used him. So if your close to mexico i would check him. Wow i kinda rambled on.
Wow! That sounds amazing. I had considered reupholstery, but need to find a good shop. I got a quote for $1500 just to redo the stock seats so I had kind of ruled it out, but I should check with others. Please keep me updated with your experiences in Mexico. You can keep it to PM if you want. Mexico is a good haul, but doable Let's see the results! I would say sounds too good to be true, but I know that in foreign countries things work differently. Still not 100% on board until I see some results! Thanks
Old 02-13-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i understand that and i never know whats going to happen till i get there you know what i mean? 1500 for two seats is outrageous for that you can get two kits from katzkinz! You need to find a new shop plus racing seats are smaller and usually cheaper than stock seats unless they dont have a lot of experience with them. ill definitely gets pics up when i get back ill make a new thread but it wont be for a few months

Quick Reply: Vendors and Members - Racing Seat Guru's - Is there a seat...