Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What i found in my oil today

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What i found in my oil today

Looks like a needle bearing about the diameter of the needle bearing in a pilot bushing (in the rear of the crank), but this one wasn't as long as those? It was only about an 1/8th inch long.

Q1. What part of the motor could this come from? Oil pump or lifters?

I have seen these before on a previous oil change stuck to the magnetic drain plug. There was only 3 needle bearing total from both oil changes.

Car is a 2000 TA LS1 6.0 L iron block that has been rebuilt about a year ago. I noticed these needle bearing looking pieces on the first oil change and now on the third oil change. It doesnt seem to be making any noise and have good oil pressure.

Q2. Should I tear it apart and find the problem?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadtrip120
Looks like a needle bearing about the diameter of the needle bearing in a pilot bushing (in the rear of the crank), but this one wasn't as long as those? It was only about an 1/8th inch long.

Q1. What part of the motor could this come from? Oil pump or lifters?

I have seen these before on a previous oil change stuck to the magnetic drain plug. There was only 3 needle bearing total from both oil changes.

Car is a 2000 TA LS1 6.0 L iron block that has been rebuilt about a year ago. I noticed these needle bearing looking pieces on the first oil change and now on the third oil change. It doesnt seem to be making any noise and have good oil pressure.

Q2. Should I tear it apart and find the problem?

Most needle bearings that are found are from a failed rocker. The bearings in the roller lifters can potentially do this too.

Hammer
Old 02-12-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd also say the rocker arm needle bearings, but you did say the bearings are only about 1/8" in length so that makes it seem like it's something else. Might still want to inspect the rocker arms since it's a relatively quick check just so you can rule that out in case they all check out.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cool thanks for the tips, totally forgot about the rockers still having bearings and not being roller tipped like the lt1's.

I'll check that first and post back any findings