Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Guys Help Plz!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Guys Help Plz!!!!

Ok I just got done installing my kit acouple weeks back got a streetable tune in it because I had some problems at the dyno fixed them and the tuner told me to just cruise around pull acouple pounds of boost and that's it just see how its running. Well I went to do that and my boost gauge isn't working. So I put another one in it and it's still not working. Do you have any idea what's up????I've been through and looked at my connections also. There fine I know its getting boost because I can feel it at half throttle pulling like a bitch. PLZZZ HELP ME!! Need to get fixed befor I go back friday to get the real tune. I have it hooked up at the 1 p.s.i. block thing.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00WS6WHITE
Ok I just got done installing my kit acouple weeks back got a streetable tune in it because I had some problems at the dyno fixed them and the tuner told me to just cruise around pull acouple pounds of boost and that's it just see how its running. Well I went to do that and my boost gauge isn't working. So I put another one in it and it's still not working. Do you have any idea what's up????I've been through and looked at my connections also. There fine I know its getting boost because I can feel it at half throttle pulling like a bitch. PLZZZ HELP ME!! Need to get fixed befor I go back friday to get the real tune. I have it hooked up at the 1 p.s.i. block thing.

Thanks,
Jimmy
If you're runing a mechanical guage all you need to do is tap into a vacum/boost source and you should be ok.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Well that is what it is now! I even tried to go further up the line and splice in there and nothing!!! My original guage is a auto meter cobalt electronic guage the one I got from a friend is a auto meter mechanical guage. Im lost you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well that is what it is now! I even tried to go further up the line and splice in there and nothing!!! My original guage is a auto meter cobalt electronic guage the one I got from a friend is a auto meter mechanical guage. Im lost you have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jimmy
Make sure there isnt a rip or kink in the guage line and that you're tapped into a good vacum/boost source.

I tapped into the same vacum source as the pressure switch that comes with the STS kit, vacum source right next to the PCM.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

I am tapped into the line that comes off the back of the intake, I think it might go through a check vavle or something and than Im hooked up after that just like the install told me to do. It actually said hook it up to that 1 p.s.i. switch block and I did and got nothing. I am too.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am tapped into the line that comes off the back of the intake, I think it might go through a check vavle or something and than Im hooked up after that just like the install told me to do. It actually said hook it up to that 1 p.s.i. switch block and I did and got nothing.
If you unhook the line from the guage can you feel vacum?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I haven't looked at my connection in quite a while, but I remember having the same problem. If you hook up the boost gauge on the wrong side of the block, it will not read boost. There is a check valve over there that will not allow boost to get to the gauge.

I am assuming you are seeing a vacuum reading...right?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

You mean while the car is running? If so I haven't tried that but, I do know everytime I go to move it it loose it's vacumm because I can hear it release the pressure.

Well my first one didn't have the vacumm on it but the mecahical one does and It shows 20 at idle. It it seems to creep up alittle at rev but at help throttle when I feel the boost it don't budge.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You mean while the car is running? If so I haven't tried that but, I do know everytime I go to move it it loose it's vacumm because I can hear it release the pressure.
You need to disconect it and try a diffrent vacum source.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Where is there another vacumm at?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where is there another vacumm at?
Like I mentioned earlier to the right of the PCM there is a good vacum source.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

That is where Im at right now. I followed the instructions just like they say that's why im so stumped about why im not reading boost. I even tried to go before the 1 p.s.i. switch and nothing happened
Old 02-12-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is where Im at right now. I followed the instructions just like they say that's why im so stumped about why im not reading boost. I even tried to go before the 1 p.s.i. switch and nothing happened
You said you did feel vacum from the line? It sounds like you might just have a bad guage or a rip in the line.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Well I just bought the line from the store. Also what are the odds of having 2 bad guages? An electronic one and mechanical one. I borrowed the mechanical one and I bought the electronic one. Could it be because I have the boost controller on zero even though it feels like it is comming into boost and my blow off valve it realeasing pressure? Sorry if that is a stupid question but I have no Idea. Also it is the elctronic boost controller from STS. I just thought i would put it on zero because it is a used kit and the guy wasn't sure what spring it had in it. So I didn't want to over boost it.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I forgot to ask you is the guage reading vacum? What spring are you running and you said the car is getting boost. What psi is the controller set at?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

The mechanical guage is reading 20 on the vacumm. The guy I bought it from said he thinks that the spring is 7#. The controller is all the way to the minus and pushed in.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

The mechanical guage is reading 20 on the vacumm. The guy I bought it from said he thinks that the spring is 7#. The controller is all the way to the minus and pushed in.
I believe it should reach 7lbs then but I could be wrong. Why not turn the controller up and get lightly into boost and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I guess I could try it, Let me go do that and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:09 PM
On The Tree

Ok still nothing. If this help which it probably won't I have methanol injection set at 3 p.s.i. and it turns on when ever I go out and do that. So im pretty sure im running atleast 3 p.s.i. I guess im just gonna have to call STS tomarrow and ask them because im LOST! Also, I unhooked the elctronic vacumm line from the boost guage while the car was still running and it was sucking.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Old 02-12-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok still nothing. If this help which it probably won't I have methanol injection set at 3 p.s.i. and it turns on when ever I go out and do that. So im pretty sure im running atleast 3 p.s.i. I guess im just gonna have to call STS tomarrow and ask them because im LOST! Also, I unhooked the elctronic vacumm line from the boost guage while the car was still running and it was sucking.

Thanks,
Jimmy
Sorry I couldn't help you, good luck.