Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking car to dyno

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking car to dyno

Taking car to the dyno this week, and I need to know how do I tune WOT and Timing on the dyno. I have a aem wideband and hp tuners. The wideband is read via a/c pressure voltage.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the WB working and try to get your fueling close on the street before hand. Personally, I like to start at a 12.5 AFR across the board. Timing on the dyno takes some analysis time. Make a baseline pull or two and watch for KR. Adjust for KR accordingly if you see it. Then, bump up the timing a couple degrees where you think you might have room for more. If it makes more power without KR, keep it and rinse/repeat if room for a little more. If not, put it back where it was (or a little lower to see if that makes more timing). The timing you can run will depend on your year and current mods. For example, if I was tuning a 232/234 cam I'd set timing at 27* from ~2000rpm and .64 grams/cyl on up (except at 4800...I'd set it at 26*) and use this as a starting point. The idea being, you want to start low and work up to optimal timing...

Once you find spark where you like it, see if leaning it out a little makes more power. You might find that you'll have to keep peak torque a little richer to avoid KR. Use the same process as above (leaning it out .2 or so at a time). If it makes more power without KR, keep it. If not, put it back.

The trick on the dyno is to make big enough changes, but not too big. Don't make 1/2 degree timing adjustments or you'll be making 20 pulls trying to find optimum timing. Just make sure you watch grams/cylinder so that you make the timing changes in the right part of the timing table.

Last edited by SSpdDmon; 02-12-2007 at 11:11 PM.