General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Chevy Avalanche??

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Chevy Avalanche??

I was thinking of getting a good winter car and i like to look and ability of the avalanche i was just wondering what some of you guys think of this as a winter car and all around vehicle? I live in illinois, outside chicago so i see pretty much anything nature can throw at you? If your not a fan of the avalanche tell me why and what i should look into?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Banned

My dad bought a new '07 Avalanche and sold me his old Sierra. He loves it. Says its the best vehicle he's ever owned. Not sure what to tell you about how well it does in weather. My guess is its as good or better than any other SUV/truck out there...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

just about everyone around my neighborhood has an avalanche and they love it, o and this is probably going to get locled because it's not lsx related
Old 02-13-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

they should add a lounge forum for discussions like this. avalanches look like good cars the new ones are awesome so i hear. and to make it lsx related, drop an ls1 in it
Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shiv15
they should add a lounge forum for discussions like this. avalanches look like good cars the new ones are awesome so i hear. and to make it lsx related, drop an ls1 in it
Since LS1's aren't made anymore, drop an LS7 in it!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

theyre good vehicles. just not my cup of tea. they ride ultra smooth but at a sacrafice of towing efficiency since theyre coil spring instead of leaf. and i use a bed of a truck frequently so a pickup is more for me. Avalanches ride uber smooth though, definitely a good vehicle.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

My parents have an '03 Avalanche. It's a real nice truck and New England winters are hardly a match for it; it eats anything that is thrown at it. It's been pretty reliable these 4 years (just about 4) BUT I do have to mention within the first few weeks of owning it, they did have to replace the tranny in it. It was shifting weird and my dad checked out the Avalanche forums and it seems to be some kind of common problem. Of course it was under warranty but still. It's pretty much my mom's truck and she puts about 50-60 miles on it a day. The only thing she does complain about is the gas mileage (which is NOT horrible! She's coming from a Dodge Intrepid however, so go figure) and that she doesn't always have the easiest time parking it.

The ride is SMOOTH. My dad has a Dodge ram 1500 sport and with that you can actually feel the road and you actually need to make an effort to steer the thing. Personally I like the Ram better for this. With the Avy you don't feel the road at all, I'm pretty sure you could run over traffic and it won't phase you or the truck. The 98 MPH limiter on it is a bit annoying too; the truck shuts off but this can be changed, obviously.

On a side note; I just picked up an '03 Toyota 4runner which everbody in the family really likes so far. For about the same price of an also used Avy you can get one. The gas mileagle is a bit better. It has a smooth ride but you feel the road a bit more and the wheel isn't as easy. If you've never driven an Avalanche, you should really go do that. It's a breeze to drive this monster of a truck, kind of scary if you ask me. You can basically steer the sucker with 1 finger....

Sorry my reply is so long but there's a lot of insight I can give here. It is a great truck but I think there are a few other options that are a little better. I don't know anything about the brand new ones, either, so yea. Hope this was somewhat helpful!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks alot for all the help
i take it the avy can take my illinois winter with no trouble then.
What other type or winter vehicles should i look into just incase the right avalanche doesnt fall into what im looking for
Old 02-13-2007, 01:11 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

www.performancetrucks.net