LS 7 vs LS X

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 03:33 PM
hrk
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 7 vs LS X

Hi,

I am trying to find a partslist with prices describing roughly how much would engine built on coming LS X be.

So far I have been looking for LS 7 crate engine, but there might be a need for forced induction in the future and iron block might be useful at that point. It might be worthwhile to start all over with that block, but with comparable internals and heads as LS 7 comes.

Any pointers or engine builder who could estimate cost of such motor.

Thanks
hrk
Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hrk
Hi,

I am trying to find a partslist with prices describing roughly how much would engine built on coming LS X be.

So far I have been looking for LS 7 crate engine, but there might be a need for forced induction in the future and iron block might be useful at that point. It might be worthwhile to start all over with that block, but with comparable internals and heads as LS 7 comes.

Any pointers or engine builder who could estimate cost of such motor.

Thanks
hrk
The LSX block will be about 2-3 hundred dollars cheaper than the LS7 block.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
hrk
Teching In

Yes the block will be. But where to source the rest of the parts efficiently?
There is no crate available is there?

hrk
Old 02-14-2007, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you want out of it?? If you are planning FI or NA, needs to be decided before hand, unless you don't mind changing out the pistons.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by hrk
Yes the block will be. But where to source the rest of the parts efficiently?
There is no crate available is there?

hrk

I just picked up a 427 Rotating assembly from Lunati. I will be installing that in an LSX Block.

LSX Block
Forged Steel Lunati 4" Stroke Crankshaft
Forged Steel Lunati Rods 6.125" Long
Forged Aluminum Pistons 4.125"

The kit had all the bearings, piston pins and rings.

Very nice parts.

I would think that any one of several Sponsor/Vendors on this site such as SDPC or Katech could build you the same type of shortblock.

Robin

Last edited by Robin L; 02-14-2007 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:09 PM
hrk
Teching In

I am helping a friend to figure out options for his Camaro.

Initially the car will be NA, forced induction is coming in a few years once the rest of the car is sorted for extra power. Unless there is decent compromise I would think at least the pistons need to be changed. If we go through LS7 route the block needs upgrading at that point too.

What I am looking for is shopping list of all parts needed, including parts you mentioned, main block, assembled heads, intake, seals, oilpump and pick- up, all hardware and seals needed etc. Basically exploded diagram of typical LS-engine with partlist, if that is available somewhere.
Once we have the baseline, we can see if we have budget to improve.

hrk
Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hrk
I am helping a friend to figure out options for his Camaro.

Initially the car will be NA, forced induction is coming in a few years once the rest of the car is sorted for extra power. Unless there is decent compromise I would think at least the pistons need to be changed. If we go through LS7 route the block needs upgrading at that point too.

What I am looking for is shopping list of all parts needed, including parts you mentioned, main block, assembled heads, intake, seals, oilpump and pick- up, all hardware and seals needed etc. Basically exploded diagram of typical LS-engine with partlist, if that is available somewhere.
Once we have the baseline, we can see if we have budget to improve.

hrk
This is going to be very, very difficult for someone to do because you literally have 10 choices for every item. As far as the cost, don't plan on less than 12-15K in parts, probably more. MUCH more.

Every choice you make will have repercussions on the parts that follow. IMHO, I think your best bet would be to hook up with one of the sponsors and tell them your GOALS and go from there. Good luck

Quick Reply: LS 7 vs LS X