Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

a4 to m6 who made the switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a4 to m6 who made the switch?

Considering making this swap, I only go tto the track about 3-4 times a year. Do you guys have any regrets switching from a4 to m6?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 PM
Restricted User

I will be doing the swap myself within the next couple weeks. I usually hit the track a few times a year. Should be more fun dumping the clutch at 6000 rpm and running through the gears...
Old 02-15-2007, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

no regrets at all. I am extremely pleased with the swap and how I can rip through gears now. I haven't been to the track since I first got the car though so I can't tell you how that's going. I am planning to once I get back from my deployment and get the car running again (my fuel pump went out). I even gained an average of 5 more mpg after the swap
Old 02-15-2007, 10:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
no regrets at all. I am extremely pleased with the swap and how I can rip through gears now. I haven't been to the track since I first got the car though so I can't tell you how that's going. I am planning to once I get back from my deployment and get the car running again (my fuel pump went out). I even gained an average of 5 more mpg after the swap
Who did your swap and how much did it cost?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:38 AM
On The Tree

yeah man and also where did you get the parts from or did you buy them new hope not. i also want to make my car a M6 already have Tranny clutch flywheel and housing
Old 02-18-2007, 04:29 AM
TECH Resident

I bought the entire kit from a guy on here that was swapping to a TH400 setup. He sent me EVERYTHING I needed minus clutch safety switch, pilot bearing, and PCM for 1400 bucks. He had a pro 5.0 shifter, upgraded 3-4 steel fork, and custom clutch with about 10,000 miles on it. I did the install myself with my dad helping me lift the transmission up to put it in. It was really simple, I had it all torn down and modified the tunnel for the shifter and wiring in 6 or 7 hours and finished installing it the next day in 4 hours. Of course taking my time, talking to friends stopping by, etc. etc. Didn't have a lift but it would have helped if I did. I just raised the car enough to slide the transmission under it. I just used that sticky in the manual section for all the information I needed. I know there's a lot of posts but everything you need to know is in there. I bought the GM manuals but didn't need them at all.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One of the best mods that I have done to the car bar none. I was getting bored with my stalled a4 after about 2 years of driving it. After the swap, the car is totally different now with the M6 in it and my excitement is now back to when I first purchased the car.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
One of the best mods that I have done to the car bar none. I was getting bored with my stalled a4 after about 2 years of driving it. After the swap, the car is totally different now with the M6 in it and my excitement is now back to when I first purchased the car.
Also looking to do this swap soon. That is exactly how I feel about the car. am bored with it. I am sure that once I do the swap I will slip back into car mode
Old 02-26-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JakeY2KZ
Did you have your harness changed out? Also will I need to reprogram my computer to correct the speed odometer?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

I have swithched back and forth between autos and sticks in my 55 Chevy. There is no substitute for the fun of banging gears. But... The bogging sinsation of launching an undergeared (for the strip) 4 speed car consistently makes you think back on those easy days of leaving with a stall. You six speed guys have it made. Slick shifting close ratio tranny that can drive with 4.56 or 4.88 gears on the highway with ease kills on the starting line and provides tons of excitement. I may be looking into the t56 sometime in the future. It's just that when it's all said and done, it's far cheeper to replace internal components on a muncie than a t56. When subject to a regular diet of 6000+ rpm shifts without lifting the gas or flashing more than 300 rpms (nice clutchwork huh?) periodic replacements of synchros and mainshaft gears (2,3,& input) become necisary. I did not like the price of replacing just synchro & collar assemblies in my Tremec 5 speed last time and have not raced with it since. I also found the car performs so much smoother runs with less bouncing with a closer ratio tranny. In that regard, the T56, like the Muncie, definitely rules the strip.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 AM
TECH Resident

The t56 swap is awesome. I just converted my 2 trucks from the 4L65E to the T56 and it was soo well worth it. I purchased the hole kit from 2 other members on this forum.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by texada
Did you have your harness changed out? Also will I need to reprogram my computer to correct the speed odometer?
I didn't change out my harness just spliced into the A4 one. You have to splice wires for the clutch switches though even if you put an M6 harness in. And yes you will need to recalibrate the PCM. I believe it will be around 10 mph slower than what you are actually going with the T56.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texada

Yes I swapped harnesses when I did the swap. If you can, I would recommend doing the same. Splicing can be a headache if you don't know what you're doing. I guess I was lucky enough to have a friend looking for an auto swap. We had both of are cars in the shop at the same time. Took everything off his and moved it to mine, vice versa with my stuff.

Yes you will need to reprogram. But it's just not for the speed odometer. There are a lot of different tables when you compare an A4 to a M6. Your car will not run right unless you get a full tune after the swap. Since my buddy had a similar setup to mine, we just swapped PCM's. When I got it back to my tuner he tweaked it a bit and now the car runs great.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Banned

the only drawbacks in my opinion are the fact that if you beat on the car and launch hard... you'll need a good rear end/driveshaft, and down the road - a built trans. (syncros go quick w/ sticky tires). so that's just money.

also - it'll take a little more suspension/tire to hook well on a manual trans.

but if you're not at the track or beating up on it all the time, there should be NO drawbacks. better gas mileage, and WAY more fun.

Quick Reply: a4 to m6 who made the switch?