Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

new shifter install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new shifter install...

figured I'd ask, want to get it out of the way today...

how long should the shifter set in the RTV before driving? Should I apply RTV then bolt it down completely and allow it to set that way? or do I bolt it down after it has set in the RTV?

need to replace my center console as its been sliding around the back of my car for over a month now and figured it'd be a great time to finally do my shifter (also in the back of my car for over a month now) ... are there any problems I might run into?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mine was easy just un bolted the only one cleaned up where the shifter sits with a little steal wool and ran a bead of rtv around and bolted the new shifter on and set my stops ( i have a pro 5.0) i haven't had any problems. My shifters a little louder now but i think thats an aftermarket thing.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok got it done, haven't closed everything back up but the stops are set (older B&M thank ******* christ, i don't like the newer ones without stops)... my bead of RTV was done in Red, probably a little too thick but at this point, don't care, its done, lol.

it says to let it set for an hour to grow a skin, cures within 24 hours... fine, no problems, but in 30 minutes I'm going to go retighten and close it all back up since I have to get to work by 4, so hopefully I'm going to be ok on that...

my stock shifter was a bitch to get loose, ended up having to bring out a claw hammer and a bit of a tug and it flew and hit the passenger side door, and I didn't even put that much pressure on it

I was almost tempted to install this with a rearward bias, but decided to leave it at the stock position, mostly because i only had 3 out of the 4 washers to put it a little more rearward... but, we'll see, again... lol.

I'm just glad its in, its been sitting around for months and I never have done anything with it, so I decided to get off my *** and do it. not long of an install, I have a feeling closing everything back up will take longer though.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

don't be surprised if its a little louder not with the new shifter. You will probably just hear more noise nothing a radio can't get rid of lol. good to here its finally done. i didn't even bother waiting for my rtv to dry lol but its not leaking any fluid any where so i'm pretty shure i'm all good
Old 02-16-2007, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LILWS6
don't be surprised if its a little louder not with the new shifter. You will probably just hear more noise nothing a radio can't get rid of lol. good to here its finally done. i didn't even bother waiting for my rtv to dry lol but its not leaking any fluid any where so i'm pretty shure i'm all good
the loudness doesn't bother me, honestly it makes me feel slightly more comfortable in smashing about with it...

I let it set for 45 minutes so I could clean up, and start swapping the cupholder from a purchased used lower console into my original console... had lunch, then went and tightened it up, and closed everything up again ...

my only regret is not using the rearward settings instead, but its in and I don't feel like ******* around with it again, maybe later when I replace the carpet and find those stupid washers.

feels much more comfortable than the stock hurst, throws are much shorter and much more precise, and I don't feel so much like I'm going to be punching my stereo haha

Quick Reply: new shifter install...