Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

th400/th350 guys...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default th400/th350 guys...

Does anyone have any type of catch can setup for the overflow of the tranny? Everytime I do a service on my tranny, the first 100 miles or so it tends to overflow some excess fluid out, and I'm looking for a way to stop it from coating the entire undercarriage (messy) with fluid. I'm sure that there must be something I can use to catch the excess overflow and just dump it. I want to be able to come home from a trip to the track, drain the fluid and refill it with fresh stuff without having to drive around to get the thing up to temp and get the excess to come out (coating the undercarriage) before going to the track again.

Anyone have any type of catch can setup on their tranny overflow? If so, where did you get it, and how much was it?
Old 02-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're lucky it hasn't caught fire or blew fluid out the dipstick tube.
If it's doing this maybe the dipstick mark is not accurate.
400's seem to be very sensitive to overfilling and blowing out fluid.
Does the fluid end up lower on the dipstick after it blows it out? If so I'd mark that spot and use it as 'full'.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Race your car!

I'm already doing that... as it is I measure what I drain out of the tranny, and put back in whatever came out. I know I'm not getting ALL the fluid by pulling the drain plug, but way I figure it if I do this often enough (after every track trip) the fluid is staying fresh... and if anything starts going wrong with the tranny I'll catch it earlier.

I will say that after measuring the amount that came out (by pouring the old fluid out into qt bottles after it's drained) and refilling with teh same amount, maybe a 1/4 qt more, the overflow was dramaticially less then the first time I filled it to the cold full line on the dipstick... but it still overflowed some at the end of last year after I was done.

Some of the fluid does get on the exhaust too, and that is what really bothers me. I don't need the overflow burning the car to the ground.... hence why I'm asking about a tranny catch can of some sort, something I can hook up to the overflow line and just drain into a can, something with a petcock on the bottom that would be easily drained.

Someone told me that summit had a catch can for a powerglide, but I don't know if it will fit on the th400, supposedly it mounted in the side of the tranny.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:34 AM
Launching!

If you are running the LOKAR dipstick I have had two different reputable tranny guys tell me to only fill to the bottom of the hashes to prevent fluid from backing out. I haven't had it happen since.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 AM
PBA
TECH Resident

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

The proper level on the TH400 is "pan rail" level, anymore than that can cause your problem.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Race your car!

I'm not running a lokar dipstick, another brand (don't ask me what it is, I don't know... got from a guy that had the tranny in a car already)

Last service I did to the tranny it was way less of a problem, but adding the amount of fluid that came out of the pan, and replacing it with within a 1/4 qt of what was in there, still caused some overflow.

Nothing out there in the form of a catch can for the overflow?
Old 02-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

ive never had one on mine but its agood idea

Quick Reply: th400/th350 guys...