Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF sensor, strut tower brace???

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF sensor, strut tower brace???

Do you guys think it's really worth it to change out the MAF sensor and to put a strut tower brace on my car? Right now my mods are: SLP lid, SLP bellow but I was thinking about putting a MAF sensor and strut tower brace put on. Also my car is an 02 WS6 so I'm wanting to make sure as far as the strut tower brace that nothing rubs the hood. I'd really like some input as far as what type of MAF sensor and strut tower brace to put on considering I know there's no better place to look than this...thanks again everyone for all your help
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No and no, the strut tower brace is just for looks and you should just leave the stock MAF alone. I think the stock MAF is good up to 500+ RWHP and most people that change it have problems. Take the money you would spend on those things and buy something else.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:49 PM
On the tree

The STB is definately not for looks, it does a purpose by tieing the strut towers together.

It is not always the sum of one part but all of them. I have a STB, SFC, Boxed Control Arms, Boxed pan hard bars, Eurethane sway bar mounts front and rear, Eurethan tranny mount, and Koni's. If you want the car to handle you have to start somewhere.

I do agree with the MAF part, the stock one will do fine for almost all apps.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep the stock MAF. As for the STB, I've heard it doesn't do much on these cars because of how broad the strut towers are. However, its still adding support where ther wasn't any before, so it can't really hurt. The 4 1/2 pounds its going to weigh is not going to slow you down noticeably.

I bought one mainly for looks. Its a nice little touch in a cleaned up engine bay. $80 shipped for black or red powdercoated UMI bar from www.byunspeed.com (LS1tech sponsor)
Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
The STB is definately not for looks, it does a purpose by tieing the strut towers together.

It is not always the sum of one part but all of them. I have a STB, SFC, Boxed Control Arms, Boxed pan hard bars, Eurethane sway bar mounts front and rear, Eurethan tranny mount, and Koni's. If you want the car to handle you have to start somewhere.
Wrong. Go to the suspension section and ask some of the real autoX'ers. It does not help. And FWIW your SFC's probably are not helping your handling either.