Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam/Gear/Converter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam/Gear/Converter?

So here is my question. I have a 2000 A4 Camaro Z28. I am have to mods listed in my sig. I will be getting a TSP Magic Stick 4 cam and have been looking into 3.73 gears. With this setup would it be necessary to put in a larger stall converter too?
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Think of it this way, the MS4's powerband is not going to be much higher than stock (it might actually be lower than stock hp numbers) below 3000rpms. It won't really be screaming until you hit 4000+ rpms. If you have a stock converter, you will feel like you have the worst turbo lag in the world. A stock cammed LS1 would more than likely beat you off the line to about 40-60mph with similar gearing, etc.

If you have the ***** to put an MS4 in an A4 daily driver I would honestly bump the gearing up to 4.10s. If you have a factory 3.23 or 3.42 gears (3-series carrier) you can actually get 3.90 gears, which is a happy medium between 3.73s and 4.10s. If you have factory 2.73 gears your only option is 3.73s or 4.10s.

I daily drive a stock cammed 4400 stall w/ 2.5str and a rebuilt 10bolt with 4.10s. I get about 10-15mpg city driving and 15-20hw miles.

If I were you, I would get the MS4 cam and supporting valvetrain mods and a big stall and keep whatever gears you have for now. I ran high 12s with full bolt ons, 300lb diet and a 4400 stall w/ my 2.73s. 4.10s will be a kick in the pants but with an MS4, big stall and sticky tires your 10 bolt isn't going to last very long.

I would consider just doing the cam and stall and then saving up for a 12 bolt because you WILL need it at some point. That way, you can get the 3.90 gears and a rearend you will never need to worry about. If you do not want to get a 12bolt ever I would stick with the 3.73 gears because the 4.10s are a thinner, weaker gear and will launch you harder and be more likely to break it.

Just remember when you get your stall/rear/gears/cam etc that you can save an assload on gas mileage with your overdrive and lowering your stall lockup speed to 20-25mph. It will lockup in city and hw driving and still be a killer at WOT. Good luck!

EDIT: As for the stall, I would get a Yank 4400+ stall with 2.5str. I daily drive my Fuddle 4400 and after a month or so you get used to it.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for the information, that helps a lot, and is exactly what I was wondering about. I am still kind of a newbe to a lot of this although I have had my car for three years I have not really gotten into it all that much. In the summer it is more so a daily driver, but it does not have to be because I also have a truck that I can drive, so I am not worried about the gas mileage or how hard it pulls exc. But the information once again was very helpful thank you, hopefully I can get steared in the right diraction before I put the money into something I should have done differently.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quick response is if you are getting the MS4 you have no choice but to get a stall. If you dont then the car wont even idle with the car in D. After you get moving im sure the car will surge like hell... Just save some headaches and get a 3500 stall or higher..