Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO Front sump oilpan swap issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO Front sump oilpan swap issues

I have a fbody ls1 and dipstick was in block behind starter! i swaped to gto pan pickup tube and all that and moved dipstick to front dipstick hole in pan. What do i use to plug the rear dipstick hole ? I have been searching around and no luck. My friend when he bought his gto pan it came with a little rubber plug he said! mine didnt. please help.. i want to start it tomarrow to see how she runs. maybee a local harware store or autopart store will have somthing that will work. thanks!
Old 02-15-2007, 10:31 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a factory GM plug for that hole. Your best bet would be to go to GM and try to get one, they were used from the factory on GTO`s so they should be available. You may be able to find something at the hardware store or autoparts store, but I would try GM first.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by G-Body
There is a factory GM plug for that hole. Your best bet would be to go to GM and try to get one, they were used from the factory on GTO`s so they should be available. You may be able to find something at the hardware store or autoparts store, but I would try GM first.
Yes thats what i was thinking but prolly not somthing they would have in stock! i wouldnt want to drive my car with that open! I can try in morning to see if they have it or can get it. Was just curious if people were doing somthing else. i would have taped it and pluged it but i kept forgetting about it. Every list i made of things to do ended up getting lost somehow! lol. Well if anyone has any other idea besides the factory gto plug let me know. and also anyone know the part number ? i have been searching around . gmpartsdirect i cant find there eather. thanks. Also even a stock ls1 dip stick i will chop down really short and pinch it and tig weld it to use as a plug and this point!!.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:29 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the hole is tapered/stepped you might try stopping by a lawnmower repair shop, the carburetors on them use small aluminum plugs like that. If it is a large enough shop they may have some in stock in bulk.

Or just grab a tapered rubber vacuum plug and stick it in till you get the correct plug.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:48 PM
On The Tree

yeh i was thinking that i have some various sized vacuum plugs rubber! i will try putting a oversized one to stuff in there. thanks. how would i go about finding the part number ?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:56 AM
11 Second Club

Shot in the dark, but go to the parts counter at your local GM dealership? Or call them.

Quick Reply: GTO Front sump oilpan swap issues