Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QTP headers and Y-pipe question

Old 02-15-2007, 10:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Default QTP headers and Y-pipe question

I plan on buying the headers but not sure which y-pipe tp purchase. I see a lot of set ups that have off road ones. What are the main differences? and what is a custom y-pipe?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:01 AM
10 Second Club

Anybody here?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Off road Y pipe is just one without Cats, a custom Y pipe is just that you go to a shop and they custom make you a Y pipe to Fit you application. What kind of Cat back are you planning on running?
Old 02-16-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

off road y means w/o cats. They pretty much have to say that its for off road use only because its a federal offense to remove/tamper with emissions equipment, so they say its for off road use only. Custom y-pipes are when an exhaust shop custom bends/welds up a y-pipe for you. If was u i would get a custom true dual system, although that might cost a bit.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Second Club

So its not necessary that I get a catted on then? Is there a difference in hp? Well I already have a LM2 on right now. I know everyone says that is sucks but it sounds pretty good and I am aware that it probably will get louder with the headers but I will tweak that depending on how I like it. Well I live in Louisiana but my car is registered in Michigan so I don't have to get any inspections or anything so the emissions stuff is not a problem.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Well FYI, u might not have to get emissions but it is still a FEDERAL offense to remove/tamper with emissions equipment. So you may bot be violating a state law but u are violated a federal law. If i were u i would get a custom y-pipe setup with high flow magnaflow cats from EAD performance, 179 shipped. You will experience no rasp if u get the cats and will still be loud.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:59 AM
10 Second Club

If it is mostly street driven I would suggest cats.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:15 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the advice
Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 AM
Banned

I would get a custom ypipe, using Magnaflow high-flow cats from EAD Performance. It should come in under $200, plus cats, and fit nicely. You can get the ceramic core cats if you are on a budget, they are a whole bunch cheaper than metalic core. Talk to the exhaust shop before you get the work done, to get a feel on if they have done this kind of thing before. Most likely they have, and you can have some confidence in them making a ypipe that tucks up nicely.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Staging Lane

If you are going to get the QTP Y-pipe I'd also suggest getting a lift kit.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:16 PM
TECH Resident

I used a QTP cat'd Y-pipe and modified it. Yeah, I know, that was a whole lotta' money to spend, only to then spend more money mod'ing it again.

My problem was in that I have SLP SFCs. In order to keep from hitting the SFCs on the driver's side, I would have to lower that leg of the Y-pipe. After the cat' going bad, I reconfigured that leg of the Y and now I am completely happy.

I ended up buying a pair of three inch cats from Magnaflow. They were one of their 5XXX-series round cats'. I just cut the passenger's side cat' off, and replaced it with the new Magnaflow. I ended up handing the other cat' right off the driver's side collector. Then, I bought a three inch U-bent from Summit, in the same gauge, and cut off a leg to match the missing bend where the original QTP cat' went. I spent like $30 welding them up and they are good as can be for a full three inch Y-pipe.

I think moving the cat' was good in a couple ways. First, it probably heats up quicker (from being closer to the exhaust ports) and burns a little cleaner. Yeah, big whoop. But, more importantly, IMHO, is the cat is moved from near the center of the car (where it's more difficult to manuever over speed bumps and such) closer to the front so it makes it easier to navigate over the bumps. I had only scrapped a little bit with it oriented like I have outlined. You won't gain too much more ground clearance however, because it is moved from the center, it will make negotiating the bumps a little easier.

I had gone a step further and cut out a small piece the of the stamped steel floor crossmember to tuck the cat' a little higher. I do plan on boxing this area when time permits eventually but I was able to gain a little more clearance this way.

I hope this long post helps a little bit. I think QTP makes good headers and although the Y-pipe can be awkward in a few applications, you can't ask for more, given the tight undercarriage. I made about ten more horse than another car (with the "old" standard QTPs,) same year, with an M6 (Kooks LTs and their catd' Y-pipe through a B&B CB,) so I think it's worth a little more power. I'd do it again if I had to and just get a ORY and add cats'.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE QTP ORY PIPE CAUSE IT OFFER FANTASTIC PERFORMANCE. AS FAR AS GROUND CLEARANCE GOES IT'S NOT TOO BAD IF YOU GET IT ADJUSTED RIGHT. HERE TAKE A LOOK AT MINE I JUST INSTALLED. IT'S QTP LTS, QTP ORY, MAGNAFLOW CATBACK
Attached Thumbnails QTP headers and Y-pipe question-000_0448.jpg   QTP headers and Y-pipe question-000_0449.jpg   QTP headers and Y-pipe question-000_0450.jpg  

Search this Thread