Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Got whining on deceleration....pinion preload not right??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got whining on deceleration....pinion preload not right??

Well, to make a long story short, my Dad & I replaced axles, both wheel bearings, both pinion bearings (front & rear) & races, & pinion seal. We put everything back together, everything seemed to be in order as far as shims between the carrier & the carrier bearings, pinion depth, however the tightness on the pinion nut we aren't totally sure about.....my question is: should the pinion be easy to turn or a lil harder to turn once preload is set??? I'm wondering if this is causing the howling sound on deceleration, because the pinion seemed to turn too easy by hand....oh, by the way we don't have any instruments to tell measurements so we are doing it by feel.....the gear track looked to be dead on when we turned the pinion & ring gear.....do you think that the pinion nut isn't tight enough & is causing the noise i'm hearing because we are kinda stumped so to speak Oh, It seemes once I drive for a lil while the sounds starts to quiet down & isn't bad, however when it's not warmed up it is very noticeable on deceleration only. During acceleration, no sound whatsoever & seems fine....What direction would u experts go to find out what is causing this??? Please help, I'm very frustrated after 12 hours of trying to figure this out. It's funny, a while back, we installed some gears & everything went soooo smooth & only took us 2 hours to do with no issue's. This time around it was the TOTAL opposite....everything was very challenging.....we must have put it together & taken it apart about 6 times

Last edited by miamifan3413; 02-16-2007 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New pinion bearings need 35 "rolling" inch pounds of pre-load resistance.

Used pinion bearings need around 15 "rolling" inch pounds of pre-load resistance.

Doing any of the work described above without instruments and tools is going to yield money in your pocket to replace what you screw up. BTW... its not going to quiet down... you are just going to get used to the sound and tune it out more.

In summation, take it to a shop or to someone who knows how to do this stuff and just have him check it out. It will most likely be a minor adjustment and the cost to do this should be minor. If you keep driving it... you may end up replacing more parts that what you wanted to before you started this whole job.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:31 PM
14 Second Truck Club

The two biggest causes of decel whine are usually improper pinion preload or improper backlash.
Like was said already, this is not something you should do without the proper tools. Although I usually shoot for between 20-25 on new bearings, and about 15 on used.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chicane
New pinion bearings need 35 "rolling" inch pounds of pre-load resistance.

Used pinion bearings need around 15 "rolling" inch pounds of pre-load resistance.

Doing any of the work described above without instruments and tools is going to yield money in your pocket to replace what you screw up. BTW... its not going to quiet down... you are just going to get used to the sound and tune it out more.

In summation, take it to a shop or to someone who knows how to do this stuff and just have him check it out. It will most likely be a minor adjustment and the cost to do this should be minor. If you keep driving it... you may end up replacing more parts that what you wanted to before you started this whole job.
Well, I understand what ur saying however, it's been done & I don't have the $$$ to take it to a shop otherwise I woulda done that in the 1st place....All the bearings are replaced.....what would u do 1st if u were in my position??? Should I try to torque the pinion nut a lil more then reshim the carrier??? Sorry if I'm coming off a lil strong, I'm just DAMN FRUSTRATED
Old 02-17-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without knowing what the "numbers" are or what the pattern looks like... its a craps shoot.

Worst case senario... is that you get to replace the ring and pinion within the next 6 months.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Thanx for the help anyhow.....I found some info that helped alot, got everything squared away & everything is beautiful now......the pinion wasn't preloaded enough & also the carrier on the left side didn't have the right shims..... I get a very slight whine, just like when it was stock
Old 03-17-2007, 06:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Glad you got your issues fixed ... having issues of my own now. Whistling sounds on decceleration ... no noise whatsoever on acceleration. Just grinds when I make slight left or right turns at really low speeds ... like in a parking lot or turning into the driveway.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:30 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry to hear that man.....wish I could help you but it could be many things, rears are tricky to diagnose IMO......Could be carrier bearings starting to wear or pinion bearing got loose somehow...IDK
Old 03-18-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

yeah man my new moser 9" is makeing the same noises. loud whining or howling on deceleration, it was installed by a machine shop and i have about 100 miles on it so far, should i give it back to them?

Quick Reply: Got whining on deceleration....pinion preload not right??