General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

ok when my cars cold it makes a .....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ok when my cars cold it makes a .....

my camaro i noticed its been making a squeeking/squeeling noise when i first crank it up in the morning sometimes.....would the cold be causing this, its a wierd noise its high pitched then when the car warms up it doesnt do it no more?? sounds like a belt but i already checked it didnt see no cracks or nothing ??? anybody have a similar thing goin on like mine ???help?????
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car does that too when its really cold out. from what i've read its the power steering pump
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

it is the belt, try squirting some wd-40 or other lubricant on the rib part of the belt (underside). just make sure its a lubricant and not something like a carb cleaner, that might crack the belt but i dunno if it will or not.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok im going to try a belt first and see what happens .....
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check your power steering fluid... Mine does the same thing... Does it sound like a super charger noise? like a whinning sound or it is liek a squeak?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intense
Check your power steering fluid... Mine does the same thing... Does it sound like a super charger noise? like a whinning sound or it is liek a squeak?

....Yea squeeling or kinda like a howl high pitched then when it gets warm it quits
Old 02-17-2007, 12:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

my car does the same exact thing. It was doing it this morning worse than it ever has. But it wasnt really THAT cold. maybe 30. It squealed like it normally does at first, then continued to make a slightly different sound for about 5 min after that. I just had my whole power steering rack replaced and the system was bled and everything. But it still sounds like its the powersteering. I'm going back tomorrow and seeing if my mechanic will do anyhting for me.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by michaelg589
my car does the same exact thing. It was doing it this morning worse than it ever has. But it wasnt really THAT cold. maybe 30. It squealed like it normally does at first, then continued to make a slightly different sound for about 5 min after that. I just had my whole power steering rack replaced and the system was bled and everything. But it still sounds like its the powersteering. I'm going back tomorrow and seeing if my mechanic will do anyhting for me.
yikes dont tell me that now im getting scared ...what the hell is it? help!!!!!!! let me know what you turn up....
Old 02-17-2007, 12:46 AM
On The Tree

if it was the pump wouldnt it be harder to turn the wheel and wouldnt it squeel louder then normal when you were turning? i would try the cheapest way first
Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rameon01
if it was the pump wouldnt it be harder to turn the wheel and wouldnt it squeel louder then normal when you were turning? i would try the cheapest way first

yea thats what i thought .. im gonna try a new belt from the advance in the morning gotta do a trans filter change on her anyways so ill be under the rack regardless but keep this post rollin people cause if it dont fix it i need to know whats going on mine and everybody else's cars.........
Old 02-17-2007, 07:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Probably the Tensioner...no big deal...mine does that after sitting for a couple days if it is cold/damp out....I park in a garage even.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:52 AM
Launching!

mine does it too, no big deal, it makes all kinds of noises...but car runs great and i have no problems...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it....Unless you don't like your car making noises i guess. I could care less, i just like to go fast