installing a catback exhaust (and removing the stocker)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing a catback exhaust (and removing the stocker)

so far the deal with a buddy has fallen through and I have a huge box with an exhaust in it that I'd like to get put on...

I have a feeling $50 is generally what is charged for a catback install... and I'm in the galleria/westchase area... who would be the best bet to get it installed with the shortest amount of a waiting list to get in?

any ideas?
Old 02-16-2007, 11:45 PM
12 Second Club

Do it yourself?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just go to any regular muffler shop, it's not a very complicated install. Shouldn't be very expensive either. Might take an hour at most if you get it welded together. Or you could do it yourself with a couple jackstands and a wrench.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

go to Meme's muffler and tell them I sent you... just say the guy with the white trans am, they will hook you up. They did all my exhaust... longtubes and back.. did an awesome job! It is right at Fondren/Richmond in between Fondren and Dunvale on Richmond, awesome job and cheap!!
Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 02-17-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jhug
Just go to any regular muffler shop, it's not a very complicated install. Shouldn't be very expensive either. Might take an hour at most if you get it welded together. Or you could do it yourself with a couple jackstands and a wrench.
I could, however, I'd end up spending just as much money on tools to remove and install it, and I live in an apartment complex in a very small apartment with no such storage for such tools

i don't trust just any muffler shops, call me weird, but any place who doesn't even know how to put an f-body on a lift and ***** up my front fender mounds can kiss my ***
Old 02-17-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by freni32
go to Meme's muffler and tell them I sent you... just say the guy with the white trans am, they will hook you up. They did all my exhaust... longtubes and back.. did an awesome job! It is right at Fondren/Richmond in between Fondren and Dunvale on Richmond, awesome job and cheap!!
what side of the street? towards westpark or westheimer? I've probably driven past it I have no idea how many times...

what was the cost for your exhaust install if you don't mind my asking?
Old 02-17-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I know you care about your car a lot, hell all of us do, but installing a catback really is easy enough that any competent muffler shop can throw it together without messing up something on your car.. Thats their main operation, putting on mufflers.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know you care about your car a lot, hell all of us do, but installing a catback really is easy enough that any competent muffler shop can throw it together without messing up something on your car.. Thats their main operation, putting on mufflers.
after some of the horror stories around houston, there are places I'd really rather not go to ... I was just curious where people thought were better places than others .... last time my car was put on a lift by another shop that I'd never been to, they placed it wrong and I had to realign the lower fender attachments so they were flush with the rest of the body again...

i don't feel like doing that more than once
Old 02-17-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

a buddy of mine owns an exhaust shop and they do awesome work. pm me if you want more info.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
what side of the street? towards westpark or westheimer? I've probably driven past it I have no idea how many times...

what was the cost for your exhaust install if you don't mind my asking?
If you are coming down richmond from the galleria it would be on the right... pass dunvale... you will see a huge muffler on top of a truck... like 10 feet tall! Says Memes muffler on it. I dont remember what they charge... but they will get on the vehicle right away, and do awesome work. Think the catback they do for like 60.00 or something.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Come by the shop today. I will be there @ 11 am. We will be working all day.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Come by the shop today. I will be there @ 11 am. We will be working all day.
sent you a PM ... forgot to ask what you charge for it though ha silly me, I'm off to work now though
Old 02-17-2007, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any muffler shop can do it. usually $10 per cut/weld

2 cuts, 2 welds = 40...
Old 02-17-2007, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude do it yourself, all you need a is jack and some stand and a wrench for the clamps
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Dude do it yourself, all you need a is jack and some stand and a wrench for the clamps
yeah, again, for what i'd be paying for tools it'd cost just as much as getting a shop to do it anyway, and I've no place to keep any of my tools... if I had a garage at my apartment I'd do it, but i don't
Old 02-19-2007, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha man everything I've done to my car, excluding headers, they were done in parent's garage, was done in an apartment parking lot. I have a small Craftsman tool box that sits in my closet with all my tools. It can be done. But I can understand having someone else do it. There are plenty of places in Houston that do good work, just don't insist on watching them do it personally, tech's hate that..
Old 02-19-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

most muffler shops will use a four post drive on lift, so no worries about them screwing up jacking points.

Take it to Mike at G-force, if you don't want to do it yourself ..
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

was going to talk to mike tomorrow at lunch time to see if I can swing by after work... also have to call somebody who wants to pick up my exhaust to see if he can come pick it up since I don't think it'll fit in the camaro

if i can't do that I'll just swing by a few places by home and see if they'll do it ...
having odd hours off sucks my ***
Old 02-19-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ha man everything I've done to my car, excluding headers, they were done in parent's garage, was done in an apartment parking lot. I have a small Craftsman tool box that sits in my closet with all my tools. It can be done. But I can understand having someone else do it. There are plenty of places in Houston that do good work, just don't insist on watching them do it personally, tech's hate that..
yeah but you have the tools to do it... all I've got is a small ratchet set I bought at walmart and a power drill and a screwdriver or two... the most I've actually done myself on the car is the shifter (ripper) and my air lid, I paid a friend with a lift to do my UMI 3point SFC's (weld in) and my tubular LCA's/PHR ...

don't get me wrong I'd love to do more, but I don't have the spare money for tools, much less the space, I live in a very small apartment unfortunately