Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Ls1 Alternator Wiring Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 98 Ls1 Alternator Wiring Problem

I have been looking on here for hours. everywhere i can think...i have seen every post by john...tried to email him ( but im west coast) can someone please help!!!!!

i wired a 470ohm resistor inline with the red lead wire from pin B on the alt plug to a switched 12v source.. i also have the + bat cable on the bottom of the alt going to the battery. i have tried multiple resistors (i have a 5pack) i have tried 3 different alternators...one orig and 2 new.....is it a possibility that when i asked for a 98camaro ls1 alternator at the part store...i was given a 99-02 alt??? i am pulling my hair out please help!!! AIM me at lexidrifts13!!! thank u very much

Alexis
Old 02-17-2007, 12:54 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Even if you were given a 99-02 f-body alt it would still work, the regulator is the same. The 98`s just run an external resistor while the 99+`s have the resistor inside the computer.

Did you have autozone check the alternators on their tester?

Maybe theres a bad ground connection?

If it is a f-body alt all it needs to function is ground, B+, the resistance wire to terminal B and to be spun by the engine.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by G-Body
Even if you were given a 99-02 f-body alt it would still work, the regulator is the same. The 98`s just run an external resistor while the 99+`s have the resistor inside the computer.

Did you have autozone check the alternators on their tester?

Maybe theres a bad ground connection?

If it is a f-body alt all it needs to function is ground, B+, the resistance wire to terminal B and to be spun by the engine.

Hi! thanks for the quick reply. i didnt have autozone check cuz they were new...didnt think i needed that. i have ground cables from engine to chasis...is that what u meant by grounding the alt?? everything else i did....help? thanks again. IM me if u want! Alexis
Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 PM

You don`t need to have autozone check the alternators, but it would be something that is easy to do and will rule out the alternator as a problem.

Yep, I meant ground cables from the engine to the chassis and battery to chassis or engine. Also make sure that the connections are clean, corrosion can cause lots of electrical gremlins.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

I was the one having the issues with the alt. my super caring girlfriend was helping me out because i didnt have internet access. after 2 days of messing around swapping alternators i found that the little 5 pack of resistors i was buying were not 470 ohm!! but 470k ohm!!! wtf im a idiot! put a new alt because i bought a lifetime warrenty bs one. and the damn things charges what do you know!!
Old 02-18-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Not to thread jack but while we are all here. I am doing an ls1 in my s-10 with the factory f-body alt and pcm controlling it. On my s-10 there is a brown wire that runs the battery lamp in the cluster does anyone which terminal in the alternator I can hook this wire into to keep the lamp functional? Right now it has the single red wire from the pcm that makes it all charge.
Old 02-18-2007, 04:09 PM
9 Second Club/LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daftdrifting
I was the one having the issues with the alt. my super caring girlfriend was helping me out because i didnt have internet access. after 2 days of messing around swapping alternators i found that the little 5 pack of resistors i was buying were not 470 ohm!! but 470k ohm!!! wtf im a idiot! put a new alt because i bought a lifetime warrenty bs one. and the damn things charges what do you know!!

Kinda funny what problems a little letter like "k" can cause.

91 Z28 LS2 408CI, LS9 Supercharger, LPE GT7 cam, Yank3000, 3450 raceweight.
Latest numbers: 9.71 ET, 141.42 MPH, 1.40 60' , 610 RWHP Mustang Dyno

www.speartech.com
Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
Not to thread jack but while we are all here. I am doing an ls1 in my s-10 with the factory f-body alt and pcm controlling it. On my s-10 there is a brown wire that runs the battery lamp in the cluster does anyone which terminal in the alternator I can hook this wire into to keep the lamp functional? Right now it has the single red wire from the pcm that makes it all charge.
You will have to disconnect the red wire from the alternator and connect the brown wire to the alt. The alternator will work like this, but you may have to delete a code in the PCM, I`m not sure if the PCM will notice if it is no longer connected to the alt.

Quick Reply: 98 Ls1 Alternator Wiring Problem