Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Changing from 2.73 to 3.42

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing from 2.73 to 3.42

I have a 2002 Z28 A4 with a 2.73 rear end. I was wondering what is the easiest and cheapest way to get 3.42's in my rearend? Should I buy a complete used rearend from the junkyard or just go through JEGS and order gears with an install kit? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a complete rear. Save you sometime more money/downtime and trouble some of having to deal w/ whiney rear. I have 3.42 swap from 2.73 and still get whiney rear. My used 3.42 rear is GM w/ GM 3 series torsen carrier and I'm still getting a slight whine.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:14 PM
9 Second Club

well I recommend calling STRANGE and going with there thicker gears and install kit. its a good price. Just get a GOOD INSTALLER and break the gears in properly. I would just purchase the gears and the install kit. again, get a good installer for your gears and a T/A and Mac rear end girdle. The breakin period is what makes and break you, keep fresh fluid in there. good luck
Old 02-19-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02sleeperz28
well I recommend calling STRANGE and going with there thicker gears and install kit. its a good price. Just get a GOOD INSTALLER and break the gears in properly. I would just purchase the gears and the install kit. again, get a good installer for your gears and a T/A and Mac rear end girdle. The breakin period is what makes and break you, keep fresh fluid in there. good luck
Absolutely.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a firm believer of just getting a low mileage factory and making sure to swap over your pinion yoke (balance). The best situation is if you can find someone looking to dump their 3.42 stocker, that you can take a ride with, and buy it off them.

You'll save money this way, there is no skill (just hard work) invovled in doing a full axle swap, so you can do it yourself if you are willing to work.

No installers will guarantee no whine. It is a crap shoot, especially since our 10 bolts are weak, a couple hard launches can make a quiet one whine.

So in the end, you gotta ask yourself, would you rather gamble with about 200-300, or with 500-600? It's a gamble either way.

Don't forget programming.

I did this full axle myself. I am not sure I would do it again. Yes the car launches a lot harder. Yes I can do burnouts a lot easier now. But it is really only nominally faster (in terms of 1/4 mile), and 2.73's are a great highway punch/mileage/quiet gear. There are advantages either way, and it cost me several hundred dollars and ~2mpg for that extra fun.

Mine is a 2nd car, so it is ok. If it were my full daily distance driver I would not recommend it.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

I had 3.42's in my 10 bolt and enjoyed them but when i killed them i upgraded to a strange 60 w/3.73's. I dont think the whining of the new rear is anywhere near as bad as some say. i would honest think about going with 3.73's, i know i dont regret it.