Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow question?

I just installed QTP lts and QTP ory with the magnaflow catback. The car sounds good, but sounds almost like stock at idle and cruise speed. my question is will it get louder once it gets broke in a little more? there is a video on ls1sounds.com it's the sixth one down in the magnaflow section. It's a 02 ss with QTPs and magnaflow. Now once mine gets broke in will it sound like this?
Old 02-18-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by onebadZ28
I just installed QTP lts and QTP ory with the magnaflow catback. The car sounds good, but sounds almost like stock at idle and cruise speed. my question is will it get louder once it gets broke in a little more? there is a video on ls1sounds.com it's the sixth one down in the magnaflow section. It's a 02 ss with QTPs and magnaflow. Now once mine gets broke in will it sound like this?
Yeah, it will get a bit louder. It took mine about a month to sound really good. It's always going to be tame at idle and cruising speed. That's just part of having a magnaflow.
I have heard with a cam it gets louder at idle though.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

how did that guy get his to sound the way it does on the ls1sounds? the best way i can describe it is in between shifts it has that sound like backpressure is being released.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by onebadZ28
how did that guy get his to sound the way it does on the ls1sounds? the best way i can describe it is in between shifts it has that sound like backpressure is being released.
Mine sounded identical to his. You are talking about the red SS right?
From inside the car I couldn't tell how it sounded. My wife took my car down the street one day and it sounded like that between shifts.
Old 02-18-2007, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When my car was stock I was a little disappointed when I put on the Magnaflow. It got a little louder w/ my LT's and ORY and then once I put in the cam it got PLENTY loud at idle and screams at WOT. If I want it to be ridiculous loud I just open up the cutout.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 PM
On The Tree

cool i'm glad to know that when it gets broke in it will get louder. at wot it sounds awesome, but in the mean time i'm saving to get heads and camshaft torquer v3
Old 02-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Launching!

I don't know why everyone says magnaflow is quiet. I have a LT's, ORY and a magnaflow Cat-back and think its plenty loud and sounds good. These are sports/muscle cars not monster trucks, so if thats the sound your going after then just ditch the cat-back all together and run open headers.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

tame at idle can be a good thing, very deceptive, and tame at cruising speed is good, no yelling to talk to each other or having to blare the radio to drown out the exhaust