Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Hard To Get Out Of 3rd Gear??

Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Hard To Get Out Of 3rd Gear??

First off, the search ain't working so I figured I would post my problem. My M6 is hard to get out of third. Goes in just fine and also go in every other gear just fine. Tranny has fluid, but I noticed my fluid reservoir is full, but the fluid is black. I've only missed a gear once and that was right after I got the car a year ago. Went to the track a few weekends ago, but didn't miss any gears then and all of sudden on the third pass it was really hard to get out of 3rd. On the way home with easy driving still did the same. Let it sit up for about a week and went and drove it around for a little while with no hard shifts or hotrodding and still is doing it. A little help would be greatly appreciated. I know the fluid shouldn't be that black and I read on here somewhere that usually means a failure with the hydraulics. I'm fixing to order a new clutch just wondering if anyone has had the same thing happen and what they found when they took the tranny down. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what rpm does it occur? i had a problem similer to that, when i would leave from a stop in first it would make this grinding type noise and shifting was a headache and at anything above 3 k rpms it didnt want to go in or come out of gear, i had a spec 3 and when we took the trans down the clutch was in such bad shape that the rivets were close to grinding into the flywheel and the flywheel had some heat spots too so i ordered a spec 3+ and aluminum flywheel everything is back to normal and this clutch is alot better than the old one big diffrence in streetability
Old 02-19-2007, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Normal driving I shift around 3k and it still won't come out easy until the rpm drops a down a little. I'm thinking it's just the clutch. It still has the stock clutch with about 10 hard track passes and probably 2-3 street runs. It really feels like some air is the line cause the pedal feels funny for a little bit and the more you drive the better it feels, but still won't come out of third easily. A new clutch is coming really soon.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:30 PM
11 Second Club

some more helpful posts would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have not had the 3/4 fork swapped to an iron part( orig is aluminum) , your fork is worn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard To Get Out Of 3rd Gear??