Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Tires or rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires or rear end?

Hey all, I am trying to help my friend play "what the heck is that noise" on his 02 WS6. Basically it sounds like Bad tire when you get over 20 mile an hour. Kinda like whup whup whup whup. Sorry. It gets faster the faster you go clutch in or out. We replaced the sway bar end links today because the previous owner put the rear sway bar on upside down. Yeah not cool. I originally thought it was gear noise being transmitted in to the body via the sway bar as it was jammed against the differential cover and the frame rail. Could the improper installation have caused damage to the pinion? The tires are goodyear eagles with about 80% tread left and were all balanced by a local shop. Thank you all for your help.

Bill
Old 02-21-2007, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Anyone? Thanks!!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

try throwin on a diffrent set of wheels and tires from a donor car... then go from there
Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I have the exact same sound coming from my passenger rear. I have posted threads about this very thing. Im still in the dark but I have ruled out tires. I took off the differential cover and i pulled the axles. nothing looked bent,broken or chipped so i dont know.