Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What size spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size spring

Gonna order the JGS 50mm Wastegate just curious what size spring I should get... New to FI so don't really know what determines what size spring to run.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 4mula
Gonna order the JGS 50mm Wastegate just curious what size spring I should get... New to FI so don't really know what determines what size spring to run.
The spring you get should be for the lowest amount of boost you want to run. If you want to run 10psi for the lowest, and turn it up to 14psi for the track, then a boost controller should be able to get you to 14psi off a 10psi spring. A boost controller will only allow you to run more psi the the spring is rated for, so the spring will be the absolute lowest boost you can run.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RealQuick
The spring you get should be for the lowest amount of boost you want to run. If you want to run 10psi for the lowest, and turn it up to 14psi for the track, then a boost controller should be able to get you to 14psi off a 10psi spring. A boost controller will only allow you to run more psi the the spring is rated for, so the spring will be the absolute lowest boost you can run.

Ahh ok so say if I am running the E boost 2 controller and want to run 10psi on the street. Do I turn the controller down to 10psi also?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh ok so say if I am running the E boost 2 controller and want to run 10psi on the street. Do I turn the controller down to 10psi also?

Yes the controller you are using has to control the WG also... for your boost setting......
watch it also about getting to small of a spring.....
I have a 7psi thats my lowest setting... no problem doing with an 88mm turbo and my 48mm WG.
But usually you can only go to 3 X's the spring rate for MAX boost..... like i know its true on mine an di cant go over 21 psi with the spring thats in there now....
Swapped out to a larger spring for the track.

Kyle
Old 02-21-2007, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so if I put a 7psi spring in it.. What would happen if I turned the controller down to like 3 psi? 7psi would still be how much boost I am making?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok so if I put a 7psi spring in it.. What would happen if I turned the controller down to like 3 psi? 7psi would still be how much boost I am making?
To get the lowest boost possible, the controlerwould essentialy be "off" (not used) and the wastegate will reference of the spring. A boost controller will only control higher than the spring (not lower). If you want to run 3psi, you'll need to have a 3psi spring installed.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ok cool.. Appreciate it

Quick Reply: What size spring