Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end noise (i know, i know)

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end noise (i know, i know)

Ok this is the usual rear end noise question, metallic clicking sound. kind of sounds like if you have a shaft running through a hole and it has some slop and you grab the shaft and pull it back and forth. i was reading another post the other day and some one said it could be a chipped gear on the ring or pinion. they said to put some additive into the rear and it will stop (what kind i don;t know). this usually only happens when i am coasting (i don;t think it does it under braking), and the pinion seal leaks a little. any help is appreciated.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the additive they are talking about is gm posi additive. you can get it at the dealer.not sure if thats gonna make the noise go away though.. good luck
Old 02-22-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

if its a torsen there is a shaft running through a hole in the paddle, there is clearance between the shaft (the pin) and the paddel, this paddle is uneven in weight so as the carrier turns, the paddle will knock agienst the pin every reveloution. Im surprised you used that analogy of a shaft going through a hole, thats exactly what it is. I was going to put a piece of electrical tape around the pin last time i serviced the rear to see if it dampened te noise but my dumb *** forgot
Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry i forgot to say that this is a stock 10 bolt. when it first starts it is usually a random metalic rattleing noise then it progresses to a constant clicking (when coasting). i can invision the pinion riding on the back surface of the ring gear and hitting a chipped gear surface and thats whats causing the noise but i;m not 100% sure.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have that noise, i think its the paddle, pull the cover off and look at the teeth, while your in there move the paddle back and forth with yoru fingers and see if you can simulate the noise
Old 02-24-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i'm a little confused, paddle? i'm not mechanically retarded but i don't understand what you mean by paddle. maybe i use a different word for it, or if you have pics that would help too. I think i'm just gonna save up for a 9 inch but knowing for sure what the noise is, would be peace of mind for me. i take that back i might get a stud girdle kit for the 10 bolt.