Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

QUESTION! Car won't shift smoothly into 2nd....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION! Car won't shift smoothly into 2nd....

It just started happenign recently. I don't whip the ever loving **** out of this car, because I know these stocker T56's are weak to begin with. But, low and behold, I leave Wal-Mart a couple weeks ago, and I find that second gear likes to grind whenever going into that particular gear.

It only does it constantly when trying to downshift, and it only grind when I try to upshift normally into second. If I granny upshift into second, it doesent grind.

I guess what I'm asking is, WHERE IS THAT SYNCHRO NOW!?! Is it even safe to drive at this point? It's my only form of transportation and I don't need to shoot the output shaft out because I have a synchro floating around in there...... Any input would be gratly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the synchronizer is bad. I had those same problems on more than one occaision I broke a brass ring in my tremec. Replace it and go. The T56 is a good transmission, but I like my Muncie better.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is usually a blocker ring warn. Once that happens it will start to wear out the slider assembly as well and will cost more to fix. There is no material floating around in there as the blocker ring is once piece. Fixing it now will less expensive than waiting until it completely wears out.

Thanks,
Amber