PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

where is the ignition switch located?

Old 02-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Restricted User - Non Spon Soliciting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where is the ignition switch located?

and how do I check if its ok? I think I have a VATS problem. I cleaned the inside of the ignition hole with contact cleaner and bought a new key from the dealer, nothing! I opened up the fuse cover in the engine bay and wiggled the starter/ignition around, nothing. I am really getting sad about this **** I really hope I didn't answer my own ? as to where the ignition switch it too in the midst of all this, I also slammed my door shut on my finger, and there was a lot of blood lost

Old 02-24-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is for earlier models, but same principle. http://shbox.com/1/vats_bypass.jpg
Old 02-24-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had this problem too.....nothing worked unitl i bypassed the vats module. its easy.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:11 AM

I'm sure its not that hard, but could someone please explain it further? I don't want to cut or splice ne thing if I don't have to. Any pictures? Sorry, but I'm reallly not good at electronics. I plan to do this tommorow. Also, what specific resistor would i need to buy from radio shack?

thanks
Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the resistor is the hardest part. you have to put a multimeter up to your key and find the ohm's of resistance on the chip in it. then go to radio shack and buy the resistors to ad up to that. if i remeber right it is the orange wire coming down the steering column. all you do is hook the resistor to that wire. ill check on my car tomorrow to make sure it is orange and how it is hooked up ill also try and get pics for you. were are you located?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what specific car you have, but here are a few diagnostic proceedures for an '02 F Bod...

Old 02-25-2007, 01:56 PM

Hello,
pro2low,

I am located in Chicago. If I bypass VATS, cant my car be stolen easier? I took out the fuses and put them back in, the car started...now, its not starting again nothing. If you could get pics, that would be great. thanks alot for your time. I see that your in teh NW suburbs of IL, where about?

thanks everyone for their help
mikie
Old 02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im in des plaines im not to sure picutres will help ill go out to my car in a little while. i knows its the orange wire. just match the resistance of your key with the resistors and cut the orange wire and connect them to the wire that goes to your pcm. as for the car getting stolen....yea kinda t he computer will think there is a key in the car. but the alarm and everything still works. its either spend a couple bucks at autozone or buy a new ign cylinder. i dont want to know what they cost.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i cant get any good pictures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: where is the ignition switch located?