Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!st gen conversion/suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default !st gen conversion/suspension?

Of those who have a 1st gen Camaro/Firebird LS1 conversion...what did you choose for suspension? I want my vehicle to ride lower than stock and replace the monoleaf rears (67) with something beefier.
I've been reading about 3 leaf rears, fiberglass rears and their weight and handling advantages, and the need to match the front and rear springs for proper handling.
Bilsteins seem to be a popular choice for a quality ride.
Actually, anyone who wants to share their knowledge will be appreciated.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 68 fire bird convertible and went with a BRP modified stock front suspension with power rack, tubular upper and lower control arms, 4th gen Camaro brakes and qa1 coil overs. Out back I chose to go with a wayne due IRS kit and dana 36 out of a 84 corvette.

If I had to do it all over again I would go with AFX spindles (from ATS) and Z06 brakes up front with the same tubular control arms. The AFX spindle greatly improves your geometry. I was going to go with the system but I had already forked over the cash for new spindles, 4th gen brakes and the bracket to run them. Out back I would go with the Air bar (air ride) or G-bar (Chirs alston) It is the same product and was jointly developed together by both companies. Uses stock mounting points and works really well. One of the good things is you can run coil overs or air bags. It's one of the best systems out there. My rear IRS was not welded in and I was going to switch to this system up until last week but decided to stick with the IRS.

Detroit speed makes a nice product called Quadra link that every one seems to like. Heidts and TCI make good 4 links as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

With our pro-touring 69 in our sig we went with our custom front clip custom subframes and our custom 4-link rear and 9 inch.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Teching In

This really isn't the best place for this question. Pro-Touring or Lateral-G is more fit.

At any rate, I've got a AME front clip with fiberglass rear springs. Very, very good handling with a decent budget.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Launching!

So are the only advantages to a modified oem front clip the price difference compared to an aftermarket front clip?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

Geometry, Strength, Weight, Larger wheel clearance, suspension feel, Camber, Caster, Toe, etc

Quick Reply: !st gen conversion/suspension?