Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

275/55 -16 drag radials on stock 16" firebird wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 275/55 -16 drag radials on stock 16" firebird wheels

i posted up a question a few days back, more geared towards do they fit in the wheel well--

well i also want to know if anybody has experience of that tire size fitting on the stock rims? i have chrome "abs" firebird wheels, which i believe are 8.5". the reccomended rim width for the 275/55/16's are a 9" wheel, so that could be a problem there. i realize if you stick too wide of a tire on too narrow of a rim the bead can pop off during a turn, the sidewall can blow out due to the pressure on it etc... but im not sure it that far off to be worried about it...

can ANYBODY on here give me some hard data, like they or somebody they know is running a similar combination before i drop 400$ on tires that cannot be returned after they are mounted? or anybody with better knowledge of this than i, maybe i can learn something i didn't learn on all of the searches of this site, yahoo, all the tire/wheel size calculators etc.. DID search multiple times with different terms and all, could not find any good information on my wheel/tire size combination. there is never a YES or NO you CAN or CAN'T use that combo.

seems everybody is running a 17"/18" wheel or go with the 15" wheel for drag racing setups.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!! hopefully somebody can help me on this decision.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you will ever get a straight answer as this is borderline . If you are going to use this performance wise then better be safe than sorry just in my opinion . Though I have seen tires that are way bigger than what you are trying on abs 8.5s but this is more for show than anything .
Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock ABS wheels are 8 inch

Quick Reply: 275/55 -16 drag radials on stock 16" firebird wheels