Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will Gen. I smallblock rods/pistons fit in LQ4(iron LS2) motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will Gen. I smallblock rods/pistons fit in LQ4(iron LS2) motor?

I am contemplating a budget turbo setup using the LQ4(vortec 6000) truck motor. If you don't already know, this is pretty much a milder iron version of the LS2 motor. My master plan is to turbocharge this LQ4, leaving the bottom end stock aside from changing the pistons(preferably) or rods to lower compression. LS specific parts are expensive, so if Gen I pistons or rods won't fit in an LQ4 i'm better off starting with a vortec 5700. I would really like to use the LQ4 however, because I want the better heads and bigger displacement. This leads to my question: Would Gen I 350ci aftermarket pistons and rods fit an LQ4?. At first glance, the specs seems to match up, but maybe i'm unaware of some peculiarities.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump-----come on people, this is an easy question. It's either yes and I use an LQ4 or no and I get a Vortec 5700
Old 02-26-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The rods are a possibility, but ive not heard of anyone using the pistons.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no. rod length, deck ht, compression ht all different.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:26 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We used off the shelf pistons from Probe that were LS specific. We used off the shelf SBC Gen I rods.

You need to run the math on Rod length, stroke, etc.. compr height, etc... to make sure all that comes out like it is supposed to. It may have 4" bore in common, but as stated, there are more factors to consider. contact you piston mfg, or do the math yourself to check....

Now, a SBC rod has about a .040 offset to the rod which must be ground off the small end of the rod, otherwise it will be sideloading. But, yes, you can use GenI rods you just have to prep them for use in a GenIII/GenIV.

Quick Reply: will Gen. I smallblock rods/pistons fit in LQ4(iron LS2) motor?