View Full Version : This deal was not worth it

Rob98LS1
02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
For some reason I traded my 1998 Camaro Z28 for a 1995 Mustang GT. Now instead of running high 12s at @ 109-110mph I'm running mid 14s @ 97. I did this because I thought my camaro was going to breakdown sometime in the near future at 160k miles and by the way I drove it (hard). And I wouldn't be able to afford a new drivetrain so I here I am now with a slow ass mustang and its going to take more than a mild HCI setup to run what my camaro did and I don't know if its going to be worth it dump that much money into this thing. I feel embaressed. Do I build up this 5.0 to run what my old camaro did or do I just save up to get an ls1 back. I would take an M6 camaro over a gt anyday. Just had to share this with you guys wondering if there was anyone out there that made the same mistake that I did.

darrensls1
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
You committed one sin by selling your Camaro. You committed a second sin by buying a Mustang. And you committed yet another sin by buying a slow Mustang.

I'm sorry but you forfit all LS1tech privliages and must now:

:gtfo:

Ok, I'm just teasing. But that was a serious backwards move. My suggestion is to do whatever will make you happy. If all you care about is a 12 second timeslip then keep your GT and mod it. If you really miss the looks of an F-body or the top end pull of the LS1 motor then start making plans to sell the GT and shop for a LS1.

Either way you're still american muscle and you're still faster then all the soccor moms in thier mini-vans :jest:

Good luck.

staringback05
02-26-2007, 02:39 PM
wellllll you didnt use common sense, so im not sure if you'd really listen to anyones good ideas....that mustang isnt really worth much, soooo your kinda in the hole on getting a ls1 back

Hawk108
02-26-2007, 03:20 PM
wow somebody got a deal on an ls1

bjamick
02-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Man i understand how u felt bout the high mileage but now i would start saving some money and start getting ready to sale the ford and then buy like an 90k mile LS1 or lower mileage.

aaron653
02-26-2007, 03:35 PM
traded as in straight across?

97blkz
02-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh???????????????????????????? ??????

Cole Train
02-26-2007, 04:01 PM
i'd have traded ya my '96 For it:) i've only got 79k on mine:) kidding i wouldn't trade ya. Bad move with the Mustang though~Cole~

mycamaroSS
02-26-2007, 04:18 PM
dont put anything in it, save up and get an ls1. you cant get those things fast!!!!

ICEMAN 31
02-26-2007, 04:22 PM
just save up and get an LS1, is it at least a good condition stang

WS6 Rampage
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
For some reason I traded my 1998 Camaro Z28 for a 1995 Mustang GT. Now instead of running high 12s at @ 109-110mph I'm running mid 14s @ 97.
Sooo,.......hows that cack taste?!!

lol!

billyb
02-26-2007, 05:05 PM
you'll be wiser the next time !!!!!!!!

Finite1
02-26-2007, 05:44 PM
IMO, doing a trade like that is a downgrade. by far. you had to have known this.

if you aren't able to afford a drivetrain, somthing that on the TH400 level would cost maybe 5-6k.

so you could have waited on another ls1 or got somthing newer just in general.

If was gonna DOWNGRADE from my ls1, I'd want somthing better then a 95' mustang GT. As I'd be looking at normal cars.

I try to upgrade with every car purchase.

NHRAMAN
02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
thats too bad--you can buy good 94-96 stangs here for 3-4 thou.

LS1Formulation
02-26-2007, 05:52 PM
Doh! Bad move! Do NOT be afraid of high mileage LS1's. Mine has 140K on it and I am modding the hell out of it :D

SS Goblin
02-26-2007, 06:17 PM
My buddy did the same thing, except he traded for a 6 banger mustang, he regretted doing it when he did it. He did it because he was getting back together with his ex-wife, of course anyone that has went that route knows that never works. And as soon as he realized that it wasn't going to work he got another LS1.

Live and learn buddy. I think if it was me I would :barf: every day I looked at the Mustang.

Rob98LS1
02-26-2007, 09:39 PM
More details. The car needed to be smogged as well. The damn thing had a fully welded LT/ ORY setup, zero emissions on it, was running like shit in my opinion. I think it would of taken alot of time to get that thing to pass smog. Shit the owner has had it like 2 months now and still hasn't been able to get it smog legal yet. The car was driven hard and had 160k miles on it. I honestly thought it was going to go any second haha. More reasons. Almost every single one of my friends owns a GT or cobra. Every day i would get told how shitty my car sounds, and why would u ever buy a car with a y-pipe. One last reason, I needed a Manual badly, I couldn 't stand driving my auto everyday except for when i was at the track.

I really do miss having it though, having that feeling of confidence when being challenged to a race, or getting compliments on my times at the track for how stock the damn thing was. If and when I do get another f-body it must be an 02 ss le. That is the car that I have always dreamed of owning. I realize that I made a bad decision now but no one would take it because of how non-emissions legal it was except for a few people that didn't give a fuck about emissions. Anyone beginning to understand my position now? I would rather have my camaro but it would need to be a manual car if i ever got another one.

lastcall190
02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
There's a pretty quick SN95 locally... also has a T66 on it :lol: Good luck in the search man, can't say I'd have done the same... Then again, I could see where you're coming from with the emissions. Next time just do the exhaust a bit different.

-J

Starz T/A 17
02-26-2007, 09:49 PM
yea but the emmissions wouldnt of been a problem, you could pick up that stuff on here for less then 100 bux, and dont always do what your friends do, and who cares if theirs sounds better, your still faster

camscam02
02-26-2007, 09:53 PM
why the hell did you do that man we could have got that car to pass easily! should have posted up on sacfbodyz! sorry to hear ya dont have it ne more!

spy2520
02-26-2007, 09:56 PM
wow man, wow...

BayAreaSS
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Man that was a bad move. Definately dont put any money into that car. Even ford guys are embarassed that ford made that GT.

Get rid of it and get the SS you want! :judge:

Rob98LS1
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
ya i couldn't find a hook up for the life of me. I ran out of time and needed a car. I will do things differently next time but until then I have to figure out what I'm going to do with this car. I hate being this slow, but its going to be a while before I can finance an 02. God damnit I hate this situation.

ChocoTaco369
02-26-2007, 10:26 PM
More reasons. Almost every single one of my friends owns a GT or cobra. Every day i would get told how shitty my car sounds, and why would u ever buy a car with a y-pipe. One last reason, I needed a Manual badly, I couldn 't stand driving my auto everyday except for when i was at the track.
nice to see you value your friend's opinions more than your own. maybe you should ask your friends why your y-pipe car is over a second faster in the quarter mile than theirs are stock, and why your y-pipe car is still faster than stock mustang GT's 10 years later.

and btw, you don't NEED a manual. nobody NEEDS a manual. IMO, you made a huge mistake, and you're obviously paying dearly for it. your friends having mustangs is nothing but yet another reason why you shouldn't have bought a mustang. now, you're just another grain of sand in the sandbox.

Rob98LS1
02-26-2007, 10:35 PM
I guess i never mentioned that I was interested in owning one as I thought that they would be more than I found out to be. But thanks for that. Ya you are right to a certain extent. I'm not saying that I did this out of entirely peer pressure. After being around them so much they grew on me and I was in a situation to get another car so i tried it out. I could not afford the camaro that i wanted at the time. Is that making you understand more? The camaro i want is 15k or more and I can't afford that right now.

I'm just pissed about how slow it is haha, after giong to the track i realized how much I missed racing my ls1 at the track.

bene
02-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Must have a case of brain fart or uhhhh.... hmmmm... someone knock the sense OUT of you? LS1>5.0

Rob98LS1
02-26-2007, 10:38 PM
haha wow you didn't read all of what I had to say did you? Ya I admit I could of got sometihng better for the car but no one would take the damn thing with no emissions.

wpnsman2000
02-26-2007, 10:43 PM
nice to see you value your friend's opinions more than your own. maybe you should ask your friends why your y-pipe car is over a second faster in the quarter mile than theirs are stock, and why your y-pipe car is still faster than stock mustang GT's 10 years later.

and btw, you don't NEED a manual. nobody NEEDS a manual. IMO, you made a huge mistake, and you're obviously paying dearly for it. your friends having mustangs is nothing but yet another reason why you shouldn't have bought a mustang. now, you're just another grain of sand in the sandbox.

You are going to make this kid go postal!!! Yet you are so right!

bene
02-26-2007, 10:57 PM
haha wow you didn't read all of what I had to say did you? Ya I admit I could of got sometihng better for the car but no one would take the damn thing with no emissions.

Even w/ emissions issue, I'd still keep it... Its not hard to find stock parts to make it pass.

blockheadnic
02-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Do an LS1/T56 Swap to your Stang! Im with everybody else on this one though, bad move :bang:

CJDZ24_Z28
02-26-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm prob the nicest guy on this board and I have to say you should be embarrassed. I don't car if that mustang was/is the cleanest in the world. 1st of all you traded your newer Z for a 12 year old car. The Mustang you have the Chassis has been out since 1979,You went from 300+ horsepower to about 220, Your Z was a very rare and beautiful color and i don't recall any rare colors on mustangs for those years except Canary Yellow and Gold. I know u had Cali emissions to worry about but like someone posted you could of gotten the hookup or went back to stock or something.As a matter of fact I sold my stock cats and manifolds to a guy in Cali for him to pass a couple of months back. I feel bad for you man. My Trans Am has 134,000 hard miles on it and i drive it everyday. My SS has only 65k and im sure i will own both these cars up to 190k + and i will still own them even when the 09 Camaro is in my driveway. I'm 100% loyal to GM but have owned a few Mustangs. I would of supported you if you said you had gotten at least a 94-95 5.0 Cobra or a newer. Even a 99-04 GT.If I had to wake up to a old 5.0 in my garage/driveway coming from a 320hp Camaro I'd be one miserable fucker.

1cleanbird
02-26-2007, 11:10 PM
you make me sad. I say H/C and 150 shot. When you burn it up, rebuild it with another 150 shot! Thats the fastest way to make those fast.

99Z28LS1
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
i would just buy a crate LS1 or build your own and try to put it in the stang.

built ford tuff with chevy stuff!

ChocoTaco369
02-27-2007, 12:01 AM
I guess i never mentioned that I was interested in owning one as I thought that they would be more than I found out to be. But thanks for that. Ya you are right to a certain extent. I'm not saying that I did this out of entirely peer pressure. After being around them so much they grew on me and I was in a situation to get another car so i tried it out. I could not afford the camaro that i wanted at the time. Is that making you understand more? The camaro i want is 15k or more and I can't afford that right now.

I'm just pissed about how slow it is haha, after giong to the track i realized how much I missed racing my ls1 at the track.
that doesn't make any sense. i'm gonna guess you spent around 4-5k on this mustang. that means that the camaro you were interested in was something like 18-20k. there is NO REASON to spend that kind of cash on a car. i spent 14.5k on mine and it had 24.9k miles and was a 2001. for 7-8k, you could have gotten an LS1 with about 100k on the clock.

you seem like you didn't expect the mustang to be so slow. it just begs the question why didn't you drive one of your many friend's mustangs around to see if this is what you truly wanted? i would rather spend the little extra money and get what you want rather than buy a car you don't like and be miserable every day you have to drive it.

Rob98LS1
02-27-2007, 01:18 AM
it was a trade i didn't buy it.

Rob98LS1
02-27-2007, 01:19 AM
and for the record my camaro costed me 5500 bucks.

darrensls1
02-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Can anyone here honestly say they have never made a mistake? I know I can't. At least he's here and looking for advice so lets not give him a hard time.

Enjoy the mustang for awhile, save up a few bucks for a down payment and when the time is right trade in the Mustang + cash for a lower mileage M6 LS1. Then I think you'll truly be happy.

Good luck.

SS Goblin
02-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Thats what friends are for, to give your buddy a hard time when he screws up.

Rob98LS1
02-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Can anyone here honestly say they have never made a mistake? I know I can't. At least he's here and looking for advice so lets not give him a hard time.

Enjoy the mustang for awhile, save up a few bucks for a down payment and when the time is right trade in the Mustang + cash for a lower mileage M6 LS1. Then I think you'll truly be happy.

Good luck.

exactly what I was thinking. If anyone here has an 02 Le what are you payments? and insurance?

WS6 Rampage
02-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Thats what friends are for, to give your buddy a hard time when he screws up.
Sadly,..... :jest: .....This is very true!

98Z28MASS
02-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Haha well I think everyone has ragged on you enough but basically you need to choose whats best for you. if you want it to be a DD and reliable then just pick up a catback and intake and be done with it. If your looking for faster and want to stay emissions legal then pick up a 100 shot or again as someone else said hold onto it, dont dump any money into it, and save and wait for another ls1 to come along.