General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oh my god. how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oh my god. how bad is it?

so last night i left my girlfriends house and on my way home i noticed that the car warmed up especially quick. it reached the midpoint (210) within about 5 minutes when it usually takes about 10 to get that warm. i turned on the heat because it was pretty damn cold and noticed that it wasn't blowing warm air even though the engine showed hot enough to be blowing hot. further in route, as i kept an eye on the thermostat, i noticed it went hotter than 210 briefly (which it never does) and then soon went back down to 210. when i got home i checked the coolant level and it was low. this morning i added quite a bit of coolant in the radiator and headed to work. one again it reached operating temp (210) much sooner than usual. i kept an eye on it during my 30 minute drive to work and only twice went slightly above 210 but then went back down to normal again. on my way home from work, after about 15 minutes, i saw the temp rise to about the 3/4 mark (halfway between 210 and 260 i believe). i started freaking out but soon enough it went back down to 210. about 5 minutes later it went all the way back up and hit 260 (the red line). i immedately pulled over on the side of the highway and let it cool down for a few mintues. when i turned it back on it was back at 210. i started towards home again and while on the highway it went way back up in the red, even past the red and was pegged all the way to the right. i couldn't pull over at the time because i was on a highway with no shoulder and was trying to make it to the next exit about 1/2 mile down the road. when i reached the exit i put it in neutral and coasted to the stoplight. went to turn right onto the exit road so that i could pull over and the engine started sputtering. i turned it off before it died but i think it was only seconds away from dying. i just had it towed to a local mechanic and i think the water pump has gone out on me.

I'm REALLY worried there was some major damage. what do you guys think? what are the chances my engine is screwed? I'm really hoping nothing is warped or seized. I didn't try to start it back up after shutting it off because i was just too worried.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cracked heads or blown headgasket check ur OIL NOW and if its milky get it outta there and start pullin the heads
Old 02-26-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the reply. if the heads cracked or the headgasket blew, would there have been a lot of smoke or noise? basically the car choked down to a stop and there was just a little bit of smoke coming from under the hood.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Although this is an entirely different engine; this same exact thing happened to my old 3.8 camaro, and after I replaced the water pump...it ran like a champ again! So try not to worry to to much...hell, I restarted mine where you didn't ( because it was my DD at the time and could care less) LS1s are a hell of alot better than a 3.8, and it turned out gravy! =)
Old 02-26-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Same thing happened to me, I think mine threw itself in "limp" mode for the one mile I needed to get home.

The check engine light came on and it definitely freaked me out, but after I replaced the water pump and thermostat it was perfect.

So, yeah, check the oil and make sure they're no leaks, but don't worry TOO much.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

once you get a new pump and change the fluids, see if you have any knocking or other noise...then drop the pan if needed
Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As long as you turned your motor off and not the motor itself stopping, you should be fine.